Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

CiscoWorks and Databases urgent

Hi,

I'm having an issue with our CiscoWorks LMS2.6. Since the disk was getting full, and we didn't notive, I'm having an issue to get it back working.

When I go into the SelfTest, I see the following fail on database.pl:

FAIL Self Test Fail to query cmf.DbVersion, Error: Database server not found (DBD: login failed)

Self Test Fail to query cmf.SYSTABLE, Error: Database server not found (DBD: login failed)

ANy idea how I can solve it?

Jorge

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: CiscoWorks and Databases urgent

let crmdmgtd be shutdown and delete the cmf.log file. Then run the following command in a dos box:

NMSROOT\objects\db\win32\dbsrv9 -f NMSROOT\databases\cmf\cmf.db

restart crmdmgtd. the processes should come up now. you can check it after around 5 to 10 min with 'pdshow'.

16 REPLIES

please provide the output of pdshow; which platform are you using and what have you yet done to get it back working.

We are running LMS2.6 on Windows 2003 SP1 Server.

Here is the output of pdshow:

Hi,

I see the following error in the "jrm.log".

FATAL ERROR : Can not connect to database cmf

at com.cisco.nm.cmf.dbservice.DBConnection.doConnect(DBConnection.java:243)

at com.cisco.nm.cmf.dbservice.DBConnection.(DBConnection.java:50)

at com.cisco.nm.cmf.jrm.Server.main(Server.java:135)

Fri Sep 28 12:42:55 CEST 2007 Exception occured, exiting

FATAL ERROR : Can not connect to database cmf

at com.cisco.nm.cmf.dbservice.DBConnection.doConnect(DBConnection.java:243)

at com.cisco.nm.cmf.dbservice.DBConnection.(DBConnection.java:50)

at com.cisco.nm.cmf.jrm.Server.main(Server.java:135)

seems I really have a problem with the databases, but how to get them starting for later restore?

Jorge

please provide the output of pdshow; which platform are you using and what have you yet done to get it back working.

I've already attached the pdshow output.

What I did already was to get some free space, deleting non needed files not related to CW, I also rebooted the server, and was checking which services may be not starting.

I also have done, after stopping the daemon the "perl reinitdb.pl -restore" but didn't helped.

that's an interessting feature, my last post got sended twice with a delay of 1h20ms and without my help...

your main problem seems to be related to the CMF database. The reinitdb command is only for the ANI db.

Stop crmdmgtd and go to NMSROOT\databases\cmf. What files do you can see there?

cmf.db and cmf.log

and a folder called orig, with following files:

odbc.tmplorig

cmf.dborig

odbc.tmpl

let crmdmgtd be shutdown and delete the cmf.log file. Then run the following command in a dos box:

NMSROOT\objects\db\win32\dbsrv9 -f NMSROOT\databases\cmf\cmf.db

restart crmdmgtd. the processes should come up now. you can check it after around 5 to 10 min with 'pdshow'.

is there no way to fresh reinitialize this database then? I'm now waiting for it to start.

Any clue why JRM is also stopped?

Jorge

there are dependencies between the various processes. e.g JRM is dependend on CmfDbMonitor, RmeGatekeeper, EDS and EssMonitor. If one of these processes won't come up JRM will neither - and CmfDbMonitor depends on CmfDbEngine which could not start due to an unclean shutdown of the CMF db.

You cannot reinitialize the CMF db alone because it is the base db - You would messup everything.

For to restore the original (empty) db's look at this thread:

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=Network%20Management&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1ddc6075/0#selected_message

Some say you should restore CMF db as the last one - I cannot see a sense behind this when you are going to restore ALL db's - but why not ...

Cisco Employee

Anyone who says to reinitialize CMF last is just plain wrong. If you are reinitializing CMF and any other database, CMF must be reinitialized first.

Interesting news!

But why ? The DBs get restored with copies of the original ones - this is a file copy like in the begining with CWSI. - OK, things get fortunately evolved :-) , so are there any dependencies or information drawn out from the db BEFORE they are whiped out (like filesystem paths etc) ?

Hello Joe,

is it possible to shed some light on this with a few words or to give just a hint why (or where) there are dependencies?.

But it is correct, if one reinit CMF db it is necessary to reinit ALL other DBs as well because you cannot get them in sync any more? Or am I wrong with this statement?

Cisco Employee

If you reinit CMF, you should also reinit all other databases.

Cisco Employee

RME, for example, actually writes data to the CMF database during its reinitialization. Without this, basic RME jobs would not be properly scheduled.

thanks, now it is really clear to see.

I supposed that the LMS processes are not always that easy somone thinks they are ;-)

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content