cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ciscoworks change config of one switch

fasteddye
Level 1
Level 1

I have inherited ciscoworks and have never tried to use the config editor or net config.

I need to make one config entry on one switch.  You would normally accomplish this by just going to that device (telnet, ssh) but in this case the line of config i need to make is the server command to (aaa group server tacacs+ tac_admin).  Somehow the server command following this did not get done so we can not hit this switch from telnet or ssh.  That is why I thought maybe using ciscoworks to accomplish this instead of driving 30 minutes to this switch.

I have never tried this in ciscoworks.  I see in RME that you can choose the device and bring up the config editor and make the config change.  I saved as and now see that in the private config list.  I am not sure if this is the correct way and I am also not sure how to properly deploy this config (overwrite or merge).

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nael Mohammad
Level 5
Level 5

Select overwrite config since you will be making changes, merge is recommended for newly deployed devices. See RME users guide for more info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_resource_manager_essentials/4.3/user/guide/cfgedt.html#wp1046350

• Select the Overwrite option, if you want to  replace the existing running configuration on the device, with the  selected configuration.
  • Select the Merge option, if you want to add incremental configuration to the device. (Note: We recommend that you use this option on newly  deployed devices. This is because, the Merge option effectively deploys  the entire configuration from the archive, on to the device.)

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Nael Mohammad
Level 5
Level 5

Select overwrite config since you will be making changes, merge is recommended for newly deployed devices. See RME users guide for more info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_resource_manager_essentials/4.3/user/guide/cfgedt.html#wp1046350

• Select the Overwrite option, if you want to  replace the existing running configuration on the device, with the  selected configuration.
  • Select the Merge option, if you want to add incremental configuration to the device. (Note: We recommend that you use this option on newly  deployed devices. This is because, the Merge option effectively deploys  the entire configuration from the archive, on to the device.)

Thanks for the tip.

I was able to schedule the job for immediate and make the necessary config change to the switch.

Thanks again.