Views
Helpful
Replies

CiscoWorks Common Services 3.1.1 ping sweep issue

sanyaolu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have CiscoWorks Common Services 3.1.1 and enabled the Ping sweep on a subnet where i have at least 20 Cisco switches and one router. CiscoWorks only discovered two hosts(One router and a dell switch) with one unreachable(dell switch)

I don't see reason why Ciscoworks will not discover the other devices since I can ping those IP addresses directly from the Ciscoworks box yet they could not be discovered via Ciscoworks PING Sweep.

Any Idea, Comments or advice ?

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Check the community strings you've configured in Discovery. Discovery will only process devices which are SNMP-reachable. As for devices not responding to the sweep, it would help to see exactly what you've configured in Discovery as well as a sniffer trace of the ping sweep operation, and an IP address of one missing device.

The SNMP is string correct and verified again by retyping it. I have attached the Discovery settings summary for your view. I can Ping, telnet to those devices which were not discovered by ping sweep from the same Ciscoworks box.

When you say "Discovery will only process devices which are SNMP-reachable" What do you mean by that ? I was having issues with NAT discovery on LMS 2.6 hence i updraded to LMS_3.0 where PING Sweep should resolve the issue.

We have lots of different sites connected over MPLS where NAT is configured on the edge routers(No NAT on the Ciscoworks Site router). However with Ping Sweep using the routable NATed IP address i belive we should be able to discover them all due to the fact that when i manually add the NATed IP addresses then Ciscowork will be able to manage the Nated devices.

Your comments

Re-Attachment