cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ciscoworks Common Services 3.1.1 Software Update Error

ckeithjones
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to do a software update thru a firewall and am getting a failure. What I need to know is what log records these errors so I can provide the protocols,ports, etc. to the firewall administrators? Also, it may be an error on my side but I have no way of knowing without the log details.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You can change the proxy configuration under Common Services > Server > Security > Proxy Server Setup. However, using SSL for the proxy will not work. LMS expects the connection to cisco.com to be HTTP.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The protocols used will depend on the devices being upgraded. For example, most devices can be upgraded simply by using SNMP and TFTP. However, you may be using a protocol such as RCP or SCP for image deployment, or you may be upgrading a device that requires telnet or SSH access.

The job logs are found under NMSROOT\files\rme\jobs\swim on Windows and /var/adm/CSCOpx/files/rme/jobs/swim on Solaris. There will be a directory corresponding to the SWIM job ID.

Sorry I wasn't being clear. I am trying to do a software update on the Ciscoworks modules themsleves. I click on the download update link, it prompts for my cisco.com user/pass and then I get the error " Connection to Cisco.com failed. Please check log files. Download operation cannot proceed."

Ah, this could be a proxy problem. If you are using a proxy, then make sure it is a Basic proxy, and does not require NTLM authentication. LMS will try to connect to cco.cisco.com and www.cisco.com on port 80 if using a direct connection. The psu.log will have more details as to why the failure is occurring.

Yes, it looks like it is a proxy problem. Ours doesn't require authentication but it does block port 80. Is there a way to change it so that CW will use 443 for this connection?

You can change the proxy configuration under Common Services > Server > Security > Proxy Server Setup. However, using SSL for the proxy will not work. LMS expects the connection to cisco.com to be HTTP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco