cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CiscoWorks Configuration Archive

rmeans
Level 3
Level 3

How does CiscoWorks access devices to download and save a configuration? I have recently added a couple of devices to CiscoWorks. I have entered the creditials, still no cnfiguration has been saved. I am assuming CW either uses SSH or SNMP to make the connection. Then what?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It depends. RME uses a configurable variety of protocols to fetch device configurations. You can few the current protocol order under RME > Admin > Config Mgmt > Transport Settings. At a bare minimum, you can use TFTP, and configure an SNMP read-write credential in DCR for the device. RME will then use SNMP to trigger a TFTP fetch of the configuration. For telnet and SSH, RME will connect to the device, then perform show run/show startup to collect the running and startup configurations. Those protocols require you have an optional username, a password, and an enable password configured in DCR.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It depends. RME uses a configurable variety of protocols to fetch device configurations. You can few the current protocol order under RME > Admin > Config Mgmt > Transport Settings. At a bare minimum, you can use TFTP, and configure an SNMP read-write credential in DCR for the device. RME will then use SNMP to trigger a TFTP fetch of the configuration. For telnet and SSH, RME will connect to the device, then perform show run/show startup to collect the running and startup configurations. Those protocols require you have an optional username, a password, and an enable password configured in DCR.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco