cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ciscoworks installation on Solaris 9

9ball
Level 1
Level 1

After installing CiscoWorks, I get this error when the broker starts. It repeats indefinitely, about once every 45 seconds.

Nov 22 14:33:44 hrn-ciscoworks1 brstart[621]: [22-Nov-2006 14:33:44+028ms] t@1 brstart

Nov 22 14:33:44 hrn-ciscoworks1 brstart[621]: RSRV-E-EBRSTART-Cannot start Broker

Nov 22 14:33:44 hrn-ciscoworks1 brstart[621]: RSRV-EMODELLOAD-Unable to load model 'sm_broker'

Nov 22 14:33:44 hrn-ciscoworks1 brstart[621]: CI-EMODNOTLOAD-Module sm_broker could not be loaded

Nov 22 14:33:44 hrn-ciscoworks1 brstart[621]: CI-ESYSINFO-System information:

Nov 22 14:33:44 hrn-ciscoworks1 brstart[621]: . /opt/cisco-works/CSCOpx/objects/db/lib/libsm_broker.so: Permission denied

Nov 22 14:33:44 hrn-ciscoworks1 brstart[621]: RTLD-SI_ELOADERR-Dynamic loader error

Nov 22 14:33:44 hrn-ciscoworks1 brstart[621]:

I can't find anyone else who's had this problem. The library it's looking for does not exist in that path. Instead it's in /opt/cisco-works/CSCOpx/objects/smarts/lib/

I have tried copying the library there, also using a symlink, but the same error always occurs. I went ahead and upgraded from LMS 2.5 to 2.5.1, but still had the error. Right now an upgrade to 2.6 is running, but I suspect that it will not resolve the problem.

Another interesting note is the result of running:

# ldd /opt/cisco-works/CSCOpx/objects/smarts/bin/system/brstart

libpthread.so.1 => /usr/lib/libpthread.so.1

libsm_clsapi.so => (file not found)

libsm_sms.so => (file not found)

libsm_rwtool_mt.so => (file not found)

libC.so.5 => /usr/lib/libC.so.5

libm.so.1 => /usr/lib/libm.so.1

libw.so.1 => /usr/lib/libw.so.1

libthread.so.1 => /usr/lib/libthread.so.1

libc.so.1 => /usr/lib/libc.so.1

libdl.so.1 => /usr/lib/libdl.so.1

/usr/platform/SUNW,Sun-Fire-280R/lib/libc_psr.so.1

The only thing I'm doing that's probably unusual is that /opt/cisco-works is an nfs mount.

Can anyone help?

6 Replies 6

9ball
Level 1
Level 1

I may have resolved the problem... it could be that casuser does not exist on our NAS, so it is being denied access.. I'm going to try mapping the casuser to root.

The problem is definitely that the NFS server is denying permission because casuser is not root. I have tried specifying the anon=0 option, but that doesn't help.

Has anyone successfully run CiscoWorks over NFS?

You should not run CiscoWorks over NFS. Even if you get the permissions sorted out, you will not receive any TAC support for this configuration. CiscoWorks must run from a local partition.

Thanks for the reply.

The CiscoWorks LMS system requirements do not specify that a local partition is required. The documentation only specifies the minimum disk space required.

The system requirements and installation documentation were carefully reviewed prior to purchase and installation. It would be unfair for Cisco to refuse support simply because of the disk subsystem, even for problems unrelated to the disk.

Would you say the same thing about iSCSI?

Is there any way to run the binaries from a local partition and store data on the NAS?

Nevertheless, I'll try to get my customer to install local disks that are large enough.

iSCSI is quite different from NFS from an implementation standpoint, and would have much more potential for success out of the box. That said, we have not tested CiscoWorks installed to an iSCSI volume so problems may occur.

Currently, there is no way to have the application installed on local media, with data stored to a NAS. The data is kept "embedded" within the application hierarchy. However, backups of the application can be taken and stored anyway you like.

I was not able to work around the permission issues with NFS. The NetworkAppliance NAS does not seem to support UID/GID mapping.

Just for fun I changed the casuser UID to 0. That worked for everything except Apache will not run as UID 0 without being rebuilt. That's not to say that it should; It was just for fun.

I will try iSCSI on Monday and report the results to this thread.

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco