Helpful
Replies

Ciscoworks License Problem

pauls
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks...

We just received a NFR copy of Ciscoworks LMS 3.0

Very excited to try it out, installed it and now I am getting an error that the License Server isn't running:

"License Server/Daemon Manager is down. Please check license.log for more information."

I've restarted the server, started the processes from the CS tab by hand and no luck....

license.log just shows it starting up (unless I'm looking in the wrong place).

The docs say that an NFR copy should work for 100 devices and run 365 days - we want to test it and show it off to some of our customers....

Thanks!

16 Replies 16

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Delete NMSROOT/etc/licenses/*.lic, then restart dmgtd. You should be able to reinstall your license then.

Where do I find the .lic files for an NFR copy? Are they on the DVD somewhere?

Thanks for the reply!

You should have been sent an NFR license file. If not, then, yes, there should be a .lic file on the DVD that you can use once you purge the existing licenses.

Thanks.. I found a /NFR directory on the DVD and removed the old license files then copied the new .lic files into place - no difference.

Any ideas? Thanks again.

Did you restart any processes after removing to old license and adding the new one?

Thanks for the reply. I actually restarted the entire server.

Removed the existing .lic files, moved the new ones into the directory and rebooted. Is there a step with the new licenses that I'm missing?

thanks!

That's not what I said to do. I said to delete the current *.lic files then install the new license (not copy it into NMSROOT/etc/licenses). To install the license you need to go to Common Services > Server > Admin > License. Repeat the process, and you should be okay.

Is there another way to do this?

Error

Error communicating with License Server. License Server may be down. Please start the License Server, then refresh the page.

Please post the license.log.

[ Wed Sep 19 12:33:24 EDT 2007 ] [main] INFO com.cisco.nm.license.server.LicenseManager - Getting Flex features

[ Wed Sep 19 12:33:24 EDT 2007 ] [main] INFO com.cisco.nm.license.server.FlexlmFeatures - Root: C:/PROGRA~1/CSCOpx/etc/licenses

[ Wed Sep 19 12:33:24 EDT 2007 ] [main] INFO com.cisco.nm.license.server.FlexlmFeatures - Got 4 license files

[ Wed Sep 19 12:33:24 EDT 2007 ] [main] INFO com.cisco.nm.license.server.LicenseManager - Creating PAK repository

[ Wed Sep 19 12:33:24 EDT 2007 ] [main] INFO com.cisco.nm.license.server.LicenseServer - Ready for connections on: 40401

The next step requires enabling license debugging which is not a straight-forward process. If this is covered under contract, your best bet is to open a TAC services request, and have them walk you through the steps.

I forgot this is LMS 3.0. Debugging is actually easy to enable in 3.0. Go to Common Services > Server > Admin > CS Log Configuration, and enable Licensing debugging. Reproduce the problem, then post the new license.log.

Does NFR usually come with some form of support that you know of? I can try TAC and see what they say....

Hi!

What your operation system language?

Cisco works only function with Windows english and japanese version.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco