cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CiscoWorks LMS 2.5 - Standard Install TIme

rdboyd
Level 1
Level 1

What is the standard install and configuration time for a 10 device SP environment? I am over 30 hrs for this and I have two modules left. I also don't want to charge the customer too much either. What is a good average time for install and configuration?

regards

Rick

3 Replies 3

bbaley
Level 3
Level 3

As per the Quick Start Guide for LMS 2.5.1 for Solaris the normal installation time is 2 hours and for Windows it is 1 hour and 45 minutes.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/cscowork/ps2425/products_quick_start09186a00805af28a.html#wp66240

rdboyd
Level 1
Level 1

I am still trying to find out out much is the average time to install and configure a CiscoWork LMS install for a Service provider.

regards

Rick

A few variables, rdboyd.

When I'm tasked with helping customers with onsite installs I typically take 4 hours to install the software (I do Sun Solaris installs mostly, I'd think you'll do similar with an SP). Then a couple hours for patch or SP/IDU installs.

Now we have network discovery and this is where most bets are off. :)

I have been in situations where the network was a high-speed campus, very hierarchical, well-known devices and credentials (SNMP comm strings, telnet/SSH login and enable passwords). Maybe a few hours to discover.

Then again, I've been in situations where the network was smaller, not very hierarchical, possibly lots of WAN technology, spaghetti net...a bad mix of devices...nobody knows the SNMP comm strings or the passwords. It could take days to remediate the device logins to a consistent state....

Once we have discovery then I like to spend time building custom device groups - that requires customer input and making decisions (*grin*).

Then you start to configure up the applications. Are you using all of them in the CiscoWorks LMS suite? How about DFM? IPM?

There are special considerations for source/target and operation selections for IPM. With DFM you may want to set up automated actions.

So a lot depends on if it's an 'install and run' or if it's an 'install, discover and customize' scenario.

Again, based on how well, or poorly, engineered the network is you may have a quick or a very long engagement. :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: