Views
Helpful
Replies

CiscoWorks LMS 2.6 on multi server

sroberts
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I want to install Ciscworks LMS 2.6 in a multi server installation. Our customer wnats to have Common services on one server and all the other application on another server.

I'm not able to find the right documentation on how to perform this kind of installation.

Does someone have something that can help perform this installation type?

My first question is: Do i have to install common service also on the server where my application will be?

How is it working?

thanks in advance

3 Replies 3

Martin Ermel
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This is not possible.

As the name states: Common Services installs common services... that means services the other applications relies on. You can have each application (RME, Campus, DFM and IPM) on a dedicated server - but you always need to install Common Services (CS) first.

You also can spread the apps on two servers in any combination - but you always need CS as a base.

For a quick response, I you can, I think you should seperate RME and DFM on 2 different servers as these 2 apps produce the most load on the server (for IPM it depends on what you plan to do with it)

HTH

- BTW - I do not know of a good reason to have CS on 1 server and all the rest (with CS as a base) on another one...

Ok Thanks,

So lets say i choose to install DFM on a seperate machine. I will install CS on both machine and install the application i want on each servers.

After that, is ok to say that I will have to choose one server as a Master and one server as a slave?

Also can we create users with the appropriate rights like when we are using only one server?

thanks

You can certainly make one server the master and one the slave in this configuration (in terms of DCR). However, as mermel said, putting CS alone on a server, while fine, may be a waste of server resources. CS by itself does not really require the same kind of resources as other applications in LMS.

As for distributing users, I recommend configuring Single Sign-On master/slave PLUS integrating both servers with ACS. Why both? You need to integrate both to get the same authroization on both servers. This may you will only have to add users in one location (i.e. ACS) and both LMS machines would be able to make use of them for both authentication and authorization.

However, if you did not go with ACS, you can still configure SSO master/slave, but you will need to manually synchronize the local users across both servers so that the roles are the same.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: