Helpful
Replies

CISCOWORKS LMS 3.2 WITHOUT ENABLING CDP

juliocarossella
Level 1
Level 1

Hi:

Our network is running MPLS.

Enabled protocols are LDP and OSPF (and BGP only in the border routers)

The question:

Is it possible to have CM (Topology Services) and DFM running wihout enabling CDP in the devices? Does LMS use the adjacencies created by OSPF and LDP to create neighbors?

If not, is any other way to use LMS applications without enabling CDP.

Thanks a lot

Julio

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Without CDP, DFM will not be able to recognize switchports as being trunk ports.  A trunk port to DFM is a switchport that is connected to another device that DFM is managing.  DFM uses CDP to determine this relationship.  If you disable CDP, you will need to explicitly manage infrastructure ports in DFM's Detailed Device View.

The not-in-network links in Campus Manager are not "bad" per se.  Your network topology will not be accurate, but things like User Tracking will still work.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Nael Mohammad
Level 5
Level 5

You can use the following:

• Address Resolution Protocol (ARP)
  • Border Gateway Protocol (BGP)
  • Open Shortest Path First Protocol (OSPF)
  • Routing Table
  • Cisco Discovery Protocol (CDP)
  • Ping Sweep On IP Range
  • Cluster Discovery Module
  • Hot Standby Router Protocol (HSRP)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_common_services_software/3.3/user/guide/dcr.html#wp1672844

The only problem is Campus Manager reads neighbors on CDP so the topology services might not work as expected.

Hi Nael,

Thank you for your response.

My question is aimed to LMS applications: DFM and Campus Manager, not the discovery task.

I could generate the DCR by importing data from a file.

First I had CDP enabled, and lauched the discovery and data collection.

Then I disabled CDP in the devices, and the links became red dashed (not in network - see attachment). Will this issue be all the bad stuff?

And what about DFM, will it work fine?

Thanks a lot

Julio

Without CDP, DFM will not be able to recognize switchports as being trunk ports.  A trunk port to DFM is a switchport that is connected to another device that DFM is managing.  DFM uses CDP to determine this relationship.  If you disable CDP, you will need to explicitly manage infrastructure ports in DFM's Detailed Device View.

The not-in-network links in Campus Manager are not "bad" per se.  Your network topology will not be accurate, but things like User Tracking will still work.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: