cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ciscoworks lms2.51 discovery problem "enabled multiple community strings"

wsitu
Level 1
Level 1

I have CW 2.50 with Dec patch installed. As far as I can remember, before installing the patch I was able to discover devices with different snmp RO strings configured.

It appears that after the patch Campus Device Discovery could not discover any device at all. After unchecking "Enabled Multiple Community Strings" under SNMP Settings, I am able to discover only network devices listed 1st of this page. all other devices with different snmp strings are ignored.

Does anyone know whether this is a bug?

2 Replies 2

miheg
Level 5
Level 5

Ciscoworks has a packet capture utility.

http://ciscoworks:1741/cwhp/PacketCapture.do

It makes files you can look at with ethereal

You can use this to see if it tries to discover with the multiple community string as it should.

Regards,

Michel

It is a bug.

Symptom:

Campus Manager 4.0 Device Discovery may hang if it cannot find the SNMP community string for one of the devices. The following error will be seen in the discovery.log:

java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.cisco.nm.lib.snmp.lib.SnmpOutputStream.asnBuildString(SnmpOutputStream.java:234)

Conditions:

This will occur if multiple community strings is enabled, and a device is discovered by DeviceDiscovery that does not have a matching entry in discoverysnmp.conf.

Workaround:

Add "last resort" entry in your Device Discovery Settings:

Campus Manager -> Administration -> SNMP Settings , click on Add and enter *.*.*.* for Target, the most commonly used community string.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: