cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CiscoWorks picking up unstacked 3750s and stacked

fredareid
Level 1
Level 1

I have been having an issue with CiscoWorks. CiscoWorks seems to pick up some 3750s (most) as stacked switches. I am unaware of why this is doing such a thing.

Cisco had given me a work around, to be able to upgrade the IOS on the systems, of putting the command "no snmp-server sysobjectid type stack-oid". I am unaware of what this command actually does.

So my two questions seem to be; How comes Ciscoworks is picking these up as stacks? What exactly does "no snmp-server sysobjectid type stack-oid" do?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

By default, the sysObjectID of any 3750 is that of a stack of switches. Therefore, by default, LMS treats any 3750 as a 3750-STACK. If you configure "no snmp-server sysobjectid type stack-oid", then the switch will use its per-device sysObjectID (e.g. the sysObjectID for a 3750-48PS). When this happens, LMS will recognize the switch as exactly what it is.

However, this is really not required. Even though LMS will see the switch as if it were a stack, the inventory reports in RME will still give you individual chassis details. That is, you will still be able to see the switch is a 3750-48PS even if it's reported as a stack.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

By default, the sysObjectID of any 3750 is that of a stack of switches. Therefore, by default, LMS treats any 3750 as a 3750-STACK. If you configure "no snmp-server sysobjectid type stack-oid", then the switch will use its per-device sysObjectID (e.g. the sysObjectID for a 3750-48PS). When this happens, LMS will recognize the switch as exactly what it is.

However, this is really not required. Even though LMS will see the switch as if it were a stack, the inventory reports in RME will still give you individual chassis details. That is, you will still be able to see the switch is a 3750-48PS even if it's reported as a stack.