cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ciscoworks - Pulling the running config from an FWSM - Does this need SNMP access?

golly_wog
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Sorry if this a newbie Q, I have zero experience on using Cisco Works.

Does anyone know if it's possible for Cisco Works to pull the running config from an FWSM without connecting via SNMP? Only connecting via SSH?

The reason I ask is that I'm hitting CSCth95284, when Cisco works does a tree walk of the FWSM it crashes.I've disabled SNMP access to the FWSM to stop this, but the guys who run Cisco Works say that it's impossible to login and back this up without SNMP access.

Can anyone tell if if they are telling the truth, it seems unbelievable that Cisco Works can't achieve this.

They are running Cisco Works 3.1

thanks

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

LMS will use either telnet or SSH to archive the config from an FWSM.  However, before that can even happen, RME needs to be able to manage this device using SNMP.  Without SNMP, you will not be able to get to the point where RME will be able to pull the config.

Joseph

Thanks for the reply - it's really appreciated.

Just one more thing, can you configure Cisco Works, so that it doesn't do a full tree walk, but still pulls the config, as this seemed to be the issue.

Thanks

LMS will not do a full walk of the MIB tree, but it will poll various objects from the FWSM.  This cannot be avoided.  RME must first collect the inventory from the FWSM via SNMP before the config can be fetched.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: