Views
Helpful
Replies

CiscoWorks Server reboots every 4 or 5 days

dionjiles
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am running CiscoWorks LMS 3.1 on a HP Blade Server.....I have been noticing that this server reboots every 4 days or so..I replaced the hardware and moved the server to another slot. Still I am noticing this server is still rebooting the event logs show nothing other than system has experienced unexpected shutdown. Is there a specific log in the CiscoWorks directory I can locate to take a look?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you need to change the hostname, you will need to use the changehostname.pl script under NMSROOT/bin. After that, the production deployment should work.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

We don't do anything at a low enough level to trigger an entire machine reboot. At the very worst, you will get process crashes which show up in the Windows Event Viewer.

Given that LMS is CPU intensive, I wonder if the reboot may be caused by temperature issues.

Hi Thanks for your response, we checked the temperature on the blade as well as the enclosure and all checks out fine. I think it may be a bad OS Image it appears that this server was having issues before CiscoWorks was installed. I'm going to re-image another blade server and try to do another install over the next weekend or so to see if that resolves the issue I am having.

I also have a quick question I would like to add....I have a lab environment which does not see our production environment whatsoever. Can I build out the server and load LMS 3.1 there and put it in production once completed or does the install not allow you to do that?

I'm only asking because the install does take some time to complete. Also I am using the same IP address to perform the LMS installation.

Yes, you can do this. As long as the IP address and hostname are the same as the production values, it is as easy as moving the lab server out of the lab and into the production network.

Thanks....the hostname I'm using in the lab is not the same I'm using in the production. I am going to change it when I move it to production is that ok? Just want to clarify, I want to be absolutely positive.

If you need to change the hostname, you will need to use the changehostname.pl script under NMSROOT/bin. After that, the production deployment should work.

Cool.....thanks for the info.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: