Views
Helpful
Replies

ciscoWorks + VLAN

abouhich
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

i installed CiscoWorks on A SERVER in (VLAN Management ) . the client ( adminstrtors) are in another Vlan ( VLAN adminostrator)

when i try to connect to server from (VLAN Administrator),the connection is so slow and specialy "applet java" " example :

-user traking- make 1 mn to execute ).

but i can connect perfectly to CiscoWorks Server from the (VLAN ADMINISTRATOR).

i would know if the segmentation of VLAN have an impact to ciscoworks ? and if yes can you tel me the solution?

3 Replies 3

umedryk
Level 5
Level 5

As far as I know, there is no impact as such.

CiscoWorks acces can be slow for several reasons. In my experience, the most common ones are that the server is busy or low on memory.

The first case often happens when the server's ANI process is in discovery mode. that will affect the Cmapus Manager applictions, such as User Tracking which you cited.

The 'low on memory' used to happen more with the Java proceses on earlier unpatched versions of CiscoWorks. Assuming a recent and patched CiscoWorks installation, you should check your server memory utilization periodically to make sure you are not using memomry to the extent that disk swapping of memory pages is constantly occuring ('thrashing').

Client side problems are sometimes at fault, althought this is less likely given a modern client with the correct Java Runtime Engine (JRE) version.

Martin Ermel
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you only have performance problems when you access Apps that need Java Apps (in LMS 2.5 these are only Campus Manager Apps, in LMS 2.2 and below these are all apps :-( )the reason could be an antivirus software installed on the client machine that scanns the java applets. If this is the case, disable the antivirus SW and retry to connect. If the performance speeds up, configure the antivirus SW accordingly.

HTH,

Martin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: