cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CiscoWorks

londint
Level 1
Level 1

I am in the process of doing an inventory of all the switches/routers connected to our main switch and need to use a software as physical tracing is quite impossible.

We have CiscoWork and I am trying to use UserTracking to do the tracking, but it is not working. All I see are the servers and workstations connection but no switches/routers.

Is there something I am not doing right? Please help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

nhabib
Level 9
Level 9

User Tracking is for servers and workstations.

Check out Topology Services for your switches and routers.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

nhabib
Level 9
Level 9

User Tracking is for servers and workstations.

Check out Topology Services for your switches and routers.

vladrac-ccna
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

I'm dont know much how to set a ciscoworks, but I used it here.

and usually for this task I'd go to Campus Manager -> Topology Services

there you'll find the switches/routers.

HTH,

if it does, dont forget to rate helpful posts.

vlad

You must have cdp running to get an accurate picture using ciscoworks. Campus Manager is where the associations (physical proximity) is collected and stored. If you go to Campus Manager-> Administration and look under the result column on the campus data collection row you'll have a hyperlinked "XXX Devices" if you click on that it will give you a list by ip address of the cdp neighbors of that device.

Conversely if you launch topology services and locate the appropriate vlan that contains your core device it you can right click and choose display view and it will show you lots more asscociated information about the core device and its associated neighbors like link types etc that can be exported to visio.

miheg
Level 5
Level 5

I think you should use Path Analysis.

If ciscoworks has been able to properly discover your network it will follow the layer2 path of the traffic between the source and destination host ip addresses you provide and back so you can see if it follows the same route.

Cheers,

Michel

Michel

You seem to have rated your answer by yourself. I thot this was to be rated by me - the originator of the question?

Thanks

I can not rate post I made myself

It would not be funny that way :-)

But some person thought my post was somewhat helpfull.

But that should not stop you from rating it the way you feel.

Cheers,

Michel

Thanks

I was quite surprised. Its not that it was not useful or helpful which it was but I had already gotten a helpful reply from nhabib .

Thanks for your help again