Views
Helpful
Replies

CM Usertracking: Shortname instead of FQDN in End Hosts Table

ch.jauslin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I'm using LMS 2.6, CM 4.0.12 with CS 3.06.

Although the acquisition settings are set to use DNS to resolve hostnames, I've a lot of endhosts (mostly UNIX) with shortnames in the end hosts table. I don't really understand how the UT Acquisition resolves these hostnames so it's quiet difficult to troubleshoot :(

thanks for your help, greets chris

PS: please let me now if you need more information

2 Replies 2

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It uses Java and the server's system resolver to resolve the IP address to a hostname. The best way to check this mapping is to use the NMSROOT/bin/resolver.pl utility. Take one of the end host IP addresses, and run:

NMSROOT/bin/perl NMSROOT/bin/resolver.pl IP

That will tell you what the system resolver thinks of that IP. It could be that you need to fix your DNS server to return the FQDN (or fix entries in the server's local hosts file).

For example, on a Solaris system, the typical hosts resolution order is files,dns. So, if there is an entry in the /etc/hosts file, then that will be used by UT. If that entry only has the hostname, then only the hostname will be used.

The dns resolver gave me the shortname, although there was no entry in the servers's local host file.

The problem was, that NIS replied to these requests with shortnames. To solve my problem I had to change the squence of resolving hostnames in /etc/nsswitch.conf as follows

hosts: files dns nis

Thanks a lot

greets

chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: