Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

cmnMacAddressesLearnt returns a result of 0

Hi,

I'm attempting to poll my switches (3750s and 6509s) for the number of MAC addresses that they are holding. I figured the cmnMacAddressesLearnt MIB would be a good place to start since I am mostly concerned about the # of MACs that the switches have dynamically learned. (The definition of cmnMacAddressesLearnt is "Indicates the number of MAC addresses learnt by the device.")

When I attempt to poll my switches I get a response of 0 for all of them. I'm using Solarwinds so I contacted them about it. They tested that MIB in their lab and said that they also get a 0, but they said they think that may be normal behavior. They suggested I reach out to Cisco about it. I don't want to open a TAC case for something like this, so I figured I'd try the forums first.

So my question is:

1. Should "cmnMacAddressesLearnt" return the number of MAC addresses that a switch has dynamically learned? If so I'll take it back to Solarwinds to investigate further.
  2. If cmnMacAddressesLearnt won't give me the information that I need, then can anyone point me in the right direction? My primary goal is to poll my switches for the number of MAC addresses in the table and trigger an alert if the number goes above a certain threshold.

The switches are using the following IOSes:

• 12.2(35)SE5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
  • 12.2(35)SE2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
  • 12.2(50)SE2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
  • 12.2(33)SXI3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
  • 12.2(44)SE2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Thanks,

Josh

Everyone's tags (2)
Views
Helpful
Replies