Views
Helpful
Replies

CNA 5.8.8 doesn't show my topology?

quintiqhq
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Yesterday I've downloaded and installed the brand new 5.8.8 Network Assitant.

I must say it looks promissing cause it now supports our AP's.

However it seems that it's not showing the topology?

I re-booted, checked my logging, checked JAVA version, Updated JAVA version etc. but so far no luck.

Does anybody have a clue why this happens?

My feeling says it has something to do with JAVA but I still haven't found the root cause.

Any help is more then  welcome.

Thanks in advance,

B@rt

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pkishan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

We will be posting a patch that addresses topology view in a day or two. Thank you for the patience.

Thanks

Kishan

View solution in original post

31 Replies 31

bartvanes
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I must say I have the same issue. After the update to 5.8.8 the CNA Topology screen remains black without info.

I see that it discovers but no results.

Sure hope somebody nows how to solve this.

Hello,

We are investigating the issue and get back to you on it shortly.

Thanks,

Efrat

pkishan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Can one of you please tell me the platform (MAC or Windows) that you are using to run CNA 5.8.8? I am trying to reproduce this issue in MAC and have not been successful. Can you send me your application log file?

Thanks

Kishan

I just ran the 5.8.8 update and mine also fails to display topology (after about 30 minutes of "discovering topology" in the status bar).

The inventory appears to be fine and all devices are reachable via http, https, ssh and SNMP. The community topology displayed fine from the same PC (and same Java) with CNA 5.8.7 as recently as 2 weeks ago.

I am using Windows 7 client with the latest Java. I can send the application log if you PM me your address.

Hint - the log has lots of errors like this:

Exception e: Received fatal alert: handshake_failure

javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Received fatal alert: handshake_failure

Hi Marvin,

CNA uses its own JRE and should not use other JRE installed on your machine. Can you please go to your CNA installation directory/packages/runtime-1.54/bin and type "java -version" and post the output. I want to take a look at the application log but don't wan to publish my email. Exception you are seeing is harmless but should not happen, that is why I am asking for JRE version in runtime-1.54/bin directory.

Thanks

Kishan

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco Systems\Cisco Network Assistant\packages\runtime-1.

54\bin>java -version

java version "1.6.0_43"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_43-b01)

Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 20.14-b01, mixed mode)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco Systems\Cisco Network Assistant\packages\runtime-1.

54\bin>java -version

java version "1.6.0_43"

Here is my output:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco Systems\Cisco Network Assistant\packages\runtime-1.54>java -version

java version "1.7.0_40"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_40-b43)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.0-b56, mixed mode)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco Systems\Cisco Network Assistant\packages\runtime-1.54>

Hi Marvin,

Can you please try

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco Systems\Cisco Network Assistant\packages\runtime-1.54\bin\java -version

In your earlier try you left out bin directory. Do you still see "SSLHandshakeException" that you had reported in your earlier mail? Please close CNA and relaunch and it should go away.

Thanks

Kishan

Sorry about that.

Here is the output from \bin:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco Systems\Cisco Network Assistant\packages\runtime-1.54\bin>java -version

java version "1.6.0_43"

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco Systems\Cisco Network Assistant\packages\runtime-1.54\bin>

I just verified a machine running CNA 5.8.7 discovers and displays topology on the same commuinity just fine. (takes about 30 seconds). It's a pretty simple community - a pair of 4507 and 11 each 3750X, some in 2-3 switch stacks.

My 5.8.8 machine continues to have the same lack of success (even after a cold boot).

This is from my machine:

C:\>java -version

java version "1.7.0_40"

C:\>java -version

java version "1.7.0_40"

Hi Marvin,

Excectly the same here.

Also tried JAVA i586 and x64 latest version etc. but no luck.

B@rt

Hi Padumane Kishan,

I have Windows 7 Pro.

Will provide a log overview.

B@rt

RJ Riemensnider
Level 1
Level 1

Same here on windows platform.  Topology view is blank and unresponsive.  No right click or anything.  Seems like a Java issue.

Thank you all for your feedback and help on this!

We are not able to reproduce this issue in our environments, so could I kindly ask for some volunteers to help us debug the issue live?

If you are willing to help us - please send an cs-cna@cisco.com

Thank you very much!

Efrat

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: