Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Silver

Config deployment

When you do config deployment via ciscoworks you can enter commands that would cut the connection between ciscoworks and the device. The type of commands that would cut you out if you did it via telnet.

It looks like ciscoworks can deploy the new config in one go.

Still the commands are entered line by line.

Are there any docs that explain how ciscoworks actually does this?

In particular for CatOS devices.

I could not find anything good on cco. Must have searched for the wrong keywords.

Cheers,

Michel

4 REPLIES
Community Member

Re: Config deployment

I didn't see such docs but, as I understand, RME really deploy config line by line and doesn't predict the results of executing commands leading to the device inaccessability. I had such situations and used console to repare...

Silver

Thanks for your response Evgeny

I'm quite worried here,

I noticed in the joblog on a catos machine that while restoring a previous config, the commands send to the machine contained lots of clear commands e.g. clear vlan 2, clear vlan x, etc.

Those commands were added by ciscoworks unless they are in the sho conf all and we overlooked them. My customer has taken the config in the editor before doing a deploy and it looked fine.

Executing them clear commands and then being unable to add the vlans would effectively be an explanation for what apparently has happened.

If this is the case I think must strongly advise my customers no longer to use the deploy option, probably not to use netconfig either.

This can't be true. The value added suddenly decreases big time.

Never read any guidelines mentioning this. Quite a few customers have a minimal config on a spare and assume ciscoworks to be able to do a resore of the old device's configuration.

R.F.C.

Cheers,

Michel

Silver

Hmm, Well CatOS is EOL so it shouldnt be impactful for much longer. As with any automated process you should test it out before you deploy it to production. Change management is your friend.

Silver

I know that Andy, but I don't live in the lab (if you know what I mean) besides that, my company want me to spend time on things my company gets paid for.

Doc's on the subject would be nice. Even if it concerns IOS based devices, details on how it works is what I want.

Cheers,

Michel

Views
Helpful
Replies
CrearPor favor para crear contenido