Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

config management - vlan info

CW opens a Telnet session to a device, and afterwards does a copy flash: tftp:vlan.dat to copy the vlan.dat to my server.

Somewhere along the way the vlan.dat, who is a binary file, is transformed into an ascii file, totally corrupted.

I issued the file command and I saw that the format of the file changed from data to ascii. What could be the cause of this behaviour ?

LMS 2.5 on solaris 8

5 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: config management - vlan info

I have seen something like this before. Can you try this to troubleshoot the issue:

Try telnetting to the switch, and copying the file off to a TFTP server:

copy flash:vlan.dat tftp://x.x.x.x/vlan.dat

See if the same conversion is done

Trigger a config change on this switch, then fetch the new config in RME. While the config fetch is occurring, get a sniffer trace of all traffic to this switch.

Silver

I have a customer claiming he sees a lot of "Change Audit events" for the vlan.dat while he believes there are no changes on the network.

Please post the outcome of your tests.

Cheers,

Michel

The copy flash:vlan.dat tftp: I ran manually ended ok.

We sniffed the whole thing and the file arrives in good shape on our CW server.

In the /devfiles dir the file is binary and has the correct size.

In the /shadow dir the file is ascii and doesn't have the correct size.

Conclusion : While copying to the shadow dir, the vlan file is altered from binary to ascii format, but how and by who, it's a mistery to me !!

Cisco Employee

I would suggest opening a TAC case on this issue. I would include the above details as well as the packet capture you collected. Looks like this may be a new issue with RME

Cisco Employee

It looks like there is a new bug filed for this issue, it is CSCsf25222

Symptom:

VLAN configuration files found in the shadow directory (i.e. /var/adm/CSCOpx/files/rme/dcma/shadow on Solaris or NMSROOT\files\rme\dcma\shadow on Windows [where NMSROOT is the path into which CiscoWorks is installed. The default is C:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx.]) are corrupt and unusable. The files binary data structure has been converted to ASCII text.

Conditions:

This happens with all VLAN configuration files copied to the shadow directory in Resource Manager Essentials 4.0.3 and higher.

Workaround:

The VLAN configuration files that are copied to the main configuration archive are not corrupt. These are the copies RME will use when deploying new software or restoring configurations to devices. Therefore, by using the tools within RME, the corrupt files will not be placed back on the devices.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content