Views
Helpful
Replies

CPU util and avgBusy5

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/477/SNMP/collect_cpu_util_snmp.html

According to this article, cpmCPUTotal5minRev of the CISCO-PROCESS-MIB should be used for multi-CPU devices. On a dual-SUP cat6k, I find this returns four CPU elements, one CPU of Routing Processor 7, one CPU of Switching Processor 7, then two on a FlexWAN card: CPU 0 & 1 of WS-X6182-2PA. OTOH, the RP and SP CPUs on the supervisor in slot 8 are not seen at all, presumably because the sup is in standby mode. Meanwhile, the avgBusy5 value matches that of cpmCPUTotal5minRev for "Routing Processor 7" as well as of "show process cpu" on the CLI. So it appears avgBusy5 is fine for monitoring multi-CPU devices too, since people will use the CLI show command to verify when they get alerted on a high CPU util situation. Am I misunderstanding the definition of "multiple CPUs"? Is it referring to the RP and SP on a single SUP, or CPUs across multiple SUPs, or a combination of SUP- and linecard-CPUs? What exactly are the benefits of monitoring a SUP's Switching Proc CPU and/or the FlexWAN CPUs, when there's no CLI method of doublechecking the util?

1 Reply 1

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

avgBusy5 is deprecated, but should still work. You should move to cpmCPUTotal5minRev assuming your device supports it. cpmCPUTotal5minRev should report on every active CPU in the device. That is, there should be one row in the cpmCPUTotalTable per CPU.

AS for your point about being no point to SP and FlexWAN CPU utilization when there is no CLI, I'm not sure I agree. Being able to see information at all is useful. But you can access this same information via CLI. You will need to attach to the module's console using the attach command. For example:

attach 7

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco