Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Creating a subinterface on a router for management

I'm working on a production lab, and I've run into a small issue. I need to have some way of remotely accessing my router from a vpn. However I don't have a spare port to assign an IP from the VPN network on. right now my lab set up looks like:

The line from the external network enters in through port F0/0 of my 2621 router. I then route (and DHCP, NAT...) into my internal production network, which then go onto a switch from port F0/1.

Now, I'm looking for someway to create a subinterface on F0/1 that only deals with traffice from a management network. Just an IP address that I can use to telnet (and SSH) into and access the router. This subinterface can't interact at all with the external or production network for security reasons.

I need to know 1) if this can be done at all and 2) will doing so open my network to security loopholes?

I've attached what my network looks like

Everyone's tags (3)
3 REPLIES
Community Member

why dont u create a loopback interface and advertise it over the vpn tunnel

Community Member

I don't have access to any of the equiptment that routes the VPN traffic, so I can't set up any kind of layer 3 routing to inform everything of how to hit that loopback interface.

Bronze

Would you be willing to remove passwords and keys and post configs?

- Be sure to rate all helpful posts

- Be sure to rate all helpful posts
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content