cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Credential verification-telnet-incorrect

olsonc0510
Level 1
Level 1

When I am adding a device in Ciscoworks I am experiencing problems with device credentials. When running a "Credential verification Report" I get "incorrect" in the "telnet" field and in the "enable by telnet" field I get "did not try"

I can use the telent option in Common services and telnet works fine. When checking "management station to device" I get an OK, so I know it works.

However, I cannot get an inventory or archive. Any suggestions on why this happens?

Thanks,

Chris

9 Replies 9

David Stanford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It looks like the credential for telnet is incorrect and the enable password has not been entered.

Can you try editing the device credentials adding this info again?

Also, if you export the device credentials to a csv file you can see if what is there and if it is correct.

Thank you, but I've tried re-adding the credentials. No go. How do I export the credentials to csv? I can export the credential report but all it shows is what the report shows.

The credential verification report export is not the csv I am referring to. You would export that from Common Services -- Device and Credentials -- Device Management and then select the device(s) and select the Export button.

This will give you a csv file with the credentials and you can see what LMS is storing them as.

Also, do you have custom telnet prompts on your device?

I found out how to export the credentials. I have checked them with an identical peice of equipment and it is correct. Now what?

I'm not sure what you mean you have checked them with an identical piece of equipment? Is this another device other than the one that is failing? What is it showing for the problem device

Sorry, I should be more clear. I checked the credentials of the problem equipment with a standby unit that has the exact same credentials. Spelling/syntax for the all protocols is the same on both. I get the error on one but not on the other. I had to delete the device and re-add the one that is failing while troubleshooting DFM issues. The only thing I did differently was enter a domain name. I have since removed it but it still shows "incorrect"

Were you able to export the credentials? This will show if this is correct on this device or not. LMS will not have any knowledge of the standby credentials, they are considered a different entity and this problem device could have something different.

I was able to export the credentials. LMS has both devices in device manager, active and standby. I use the same credentials on both. I compared the two exported files and the credentials are exactly the same on both. One works, the other says incorrect. I can't understand why.

Hello. Have You been able to solve this problem. Can You tel me how ?