cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CS stopped discovering

baotran09
Level 1
Level 1

Normally when I run the device discovery service, I can see the statistics in Device Discovery Summary and its take at least an hour.

Now when I hit the Discovery button, CW says it has completed the job -in less than 5 seconds. The Device STatus says its "Stopping. PLease refresh the page to get the status". When I refresh the page, the status says it "Completed"

Discovery Status:Stopping. Please refresh the page to get the status
Discovery Start Time:Mon Dec 21 23:33:01
Discovery End Time:
Total Devices Discovered:0
Reachable Devices:0
Unreachable Devices:0
Devices Newly Added to DCR:0
Devices Updated to DCR:0

I dont think CW discovery is working, how can i resolve the issue?

Thanks in advance,

15 Replies 15

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Post the CSDiscovery.log and NMSROOT/conf/csdiscovery/CSDiscovery-config.xml file.  What version of Common Services is this?

Hi Clark,

Youre a God send!. Thanks for your help.

Im running version 3.3.0

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You didn't post the CSDiscovery.log.

Apology..Please see attachedment

baotran09
Level 1
Level 1

I think the discovery got corrupted when I restart xmldb. There was a post where you ask me to reinitialize the  opsxml database.

see attachment

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I don't see any errors here.  You've blocked out a lot of the configuration, so I can't say for certain, but it looks like your settings might be too restrictive.  You only have the CDP module enabled with one seed device, and without jump router boundaries.  While you do have DCR devices enabled for seeds, it's not clear how the filters apply.  I recommend you open a TAC service request so the actual file contents can be checked along with the ngdiscovery.log with appropriate debugging enabled.

I think I identify the problem. I added/included the filters for the devices. I exclude the filters IPs and its rediscovering. phewsss

You only have the CDP module enabled with one seed device,  << How many seed device should I add? If I have 5 branches, is that mean I have to add 5 devices? I though once cw will look at the cdp table, collect the data then it go onto another device and repat the process. ???

There are no hard and fast rules.  I just commented that your Discovery settings may have been too weak. If, after you fixed the filters, Discovery is working, then one seed may be enough.  In general, you need to add one CDP seed for each CDP domain (i.e. each area where CDP is properly advertised).  If you use technologies like MPLS where CDP does not work, you would need to add one CDP seed per MPLS-connected campus in order for Discovery to find everything.

Thanks for the feedback.

How can you find out which device has CDP seed enable for each CDP domain? I got cdp enable for all of my devices.

Back to the problem, the reason CS stopped discovering because of the filter. I want to added/filter out the ip addresses so next time when I run discovery again, CW will ignore those ip addresses. obviously it didnt work. Any idea why the filter didnt work? I INCLUDED the devices in the filter.

You can use the "show cdp neighbor" command on each device to verify CDP is properly advertised everywhere.  You may also want to enable Jump Router Boundaries.  If you do not, you will need to add a CDP seed for each routed subnet.

Without knowing exactly what the IP addresses you used for filtering, and what IP addresses are configured on the devices in DCR, I cannot say for certain why the filters were not working.  I can say that when you use include filters, Discovery checks the devices to see if they have an IP address which matches the filter.  If the devices are in DCR with a management IP address, then pre-filtering will be done on that address, and only devices which match the include filter will be processed.

That's what I though the filter would do, but it didnt.

So how do I setup CW and tell it to collect only 1 ip address for each device?

My system went out there and it collect all the IP addresses on the same device, that's why I use the filter.

The filters are only pre-applied to seed devices.  For discovered devices, Discovery will walk the ipAddrTable of those devices to get all of the configured IP addresses.  This is not configurable.

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, the OpsXML database has no bearing on Discovery.  CWA is completely separate from CS Discovery.

What's all that initialize the log4j system warning messages in CSDiscovery.log?

There's alot of errors, in csdiscovery.log file

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco