I have the following issue with Device Discovery under Common Services 3.1.1 :
When i start discovery, it never ends. In the CSDiscovery.log it logs :
[DiscoveryJobUtil : processStatus] : ErrorStream Line: ERROR: CSDiscovery is not a registered server name.Please enter a valid process/server name or check the case of the entered process/server name.
Restarting the LMS does not help
Any suggestions? I've attached CSDiscovery-config.xml
Please post the output of the pdshow command. It sounds like the LMS 3.0.1 update was not properly installed as this service should have been registered.
I don't see any other process state problems. However, CSDiscovery is missing. Try doing a reinstallation as local Administrator after disabling anti-virus software, and setting the TEMP and TMP environment variables to short values (e.g. C:\WINDOWS\TEMP).
I tried to reinstall after setting the environment variables as you said.
I still can't see the CSDiscovery process in the process list of Common Services and i get the same error as described in my first post.
I'm not quite sure if this is related to the problem, but i noticed a file in the NMSROOT directory with a name DiscoveryLock and content "DiscoveryLock to avoid the discovery two preocess ". I have attached the pdshow output again
I don't see any errors here. Try running this command as a local Administrator with Daemon Manager running:
pdreg -r CSDiscovery -e C:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\bin\cwjava.exe -f "-cw C:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx -cw:jre lib\jre -cp:pmf conf\csdiscovery\CSDiscovery.mf com.cisco.nm.csdiscovery.CSDiscoveryManager" -n
Yep, the command execution was succesful. Now i can see the CSDiscovery process in the processes list.
And i started a discovery to see if it works fine.
I'm curious what exactly was the problem and why it happened, if you don't mind to explain in brief
Thank you for your cooperation
Have a nice weekend