Views
Helpful
Replies

CW LMS 2.5 Syslog Messages

scbne
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am trying to setup a Cisco VPN 30xx Concentrator to send its syslog messages to our CW server but so far I am unsuccesful, can anyone give me some hints or ideas what might be causing the problem, Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Are the messages actually hitting the server (the log file)? Can you try to generate a syslog message and perhaps do a packet capture to see if the message is reaching the server?

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

David Stanford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Not sure what version of RME you are running, but you might want to make sure the concentrator is sending the messages in the correct format.

The VPN3000s use a different Syslog format than

Cisco IOS devices by default.

To make them compatible the Syslog message format needs to be set to Cisco IOS format:

Enable logging on 3000, Configuration>System>Events>General, set Syslog format to cisco Ios compatible, severity to Syslog 1-6.

Then you can check the syslog.log or syslog_info to see if the messages are showing up correctly. If they are then make sure they are managed devices in the RME inventory in order for them to show up in the Syslog Standard reports.

We have RME 4.0.4 installed, I've check the Syslog format and it is configured for Cisco IOS Compatible, Events to Syslog: Severities 1-5. I also checked the Syslog Servers and everything seems to be configured correctly but I still am not receiving any syslog messages.

Are the messages actually hitting the server (the log file)? Can you try to generate a syslog message and perhaps do a packet capture to see if the message is reaching the server?

We have figured out our problem, the syslog messages were not reaching the server, we had our firewall people check the firewall again and they discovered that they hadn't put in the right information. Thanks for all your help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco