cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CW LMS 2.6 and HP OV NNM 7.51 integration.

jromanov
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to integrate CW LMS 2.5/2.6 and HP OpenView NNM 7.51.

As I know CiscoWorks Integration utility supports NNM 7.01 only.

Thanks for answer!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I tried to find out which company is responable for the adapter and the integration and could not find an answer for it in last few years. If you ask HP its Cisco, if you ask Cisco its HP (even you can download it on Ciscos web site)-

You are right I forgot this point with the Alarm Browser...

When I used the integration tool it was mainly because of loading the mibs and getting the icons, the traps and the fields in the db.

If I remember well there was an inconsistency in the trapd4x.conf provided with nmidbxxx.zip with the current active trapd.conf from NNM.

If I have to do it again I would first take a backup of the actual trapd.conf then unzip nmidbxxx.zip, pick the trapd4x.conf and try to merge it from cli, so you get the errors from the merge process (if there are any..). If you find errors, try to correct them. If you have done this put the corrected trapd4x.conf back to nmidbxx.zip and start the integration. I suppose the whole process will finish only partial if trapd4x produces any error.

Good luck,

MArtin

btw: HP has no adapter to do what you want. They provide the API for NNM - it is the vendor how provides the integration itself...

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Martin Ermel
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you want to integrate LMS into NNM 7.5 the latest adapter states that it is supported. I did it with NNM 7.5 and LMS 2.5 and it is the same odd and annoying stuff for years.

Integration means you get some more or less nice icons (more less..) and mibs and traps will be updated. Telent, ping and Alarm browser shortcut will disapear from any Cisco devices? menu (right mouse click) and you have to readd it manually. If you use ET with NNM you will have to perform a special command to get the icons updated but it is hard to find it in any documentation. Before you do it get a copy of your trapd.conf.

If you have many (different) Cisco devivces it is worth it because you do not need to care about the order how the Cisco mibs must be loaded. Anyway you should have a special look on the trapd.conf if the new trapd.conf really get merged with the old one or if you must make some changes to the file because of syntax errors.

If you know the main steps of the integration, an alternative way is to get nmidbxx.zip from Cisco extract it and you have the files you need to do it manually (so your devices menu in NNM (the "right mouse click menu") won?t loose some of its function.

also check the NNM forum for hints how to do it:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/categoryhome.do?admit=-682735245+1168382930043+28353475&categoryId=165

regards,

MArtin

Ok, Thanks a lot, Martin!

I tried to do it with the latest NNM atapter (version 2.1, 2005 year!). I didn't see the CiscoWorks group of alarms in Alarm Viewer of NNM 7.51!

As I understand, Cisco does not hold up to date the integration tool. Don't HP provide such tool for NNM and LMs integration?

I tried to find out which company is responable for the adapter and the integration and could not find an answer for it in last few years. If you ask HP its Cisco, if you ask Cisco its HP (even you can download it on Ciscos web site)-

You are right I forgot this point with the Alarm Browser...

When I used the integration tool it was mainly because of loading the mibs and getting the icons, the traps and the fields in the db.

If I remember well there was an inconsistency in the trapd4x.conf provided with nmidbxxx.zip with the current active trapd.conf from NNM.

If I have to do it again I would first take a backup of the actual trapd.conf then unzip nmidbxxx.zip, pick the trapd4x.conf and try to merge it from cli, so you get the errors from the merge process (if there are any..). If you find errors, try to correct them. If you have done this put the corrected trapd4x.conf back to nmidbxx.zip and start the integration. I suppose the whole process will finish only partial if trapd4x produces any error.

Good luck,

MArtin

btw: HP has no adapter to do what you want. They provide the API for NNM - it is the vendor how provides the integration itself...

Hello!

Integration between newest NNM & CWLMS products does not provide much - it worked best with NNM 6.x and LMS 2.2x. Right now it can just mess up your NNM system easily: i.e. like Cisco specific icons just work on traditional (ovw, jovw) side not ET. If you need to integrate just Cisco specific traps to NNM (not Cisco MIBs) you can do it quite easily with ECC (Event Classifier Correlator for NNM) value added software (can be download ed from http://h20229.www2.hp.com/uploads/ovrd/ovr_l_nnm_0001.html or get from NNM SPI CD). ECC also categorises these traps differently.

One good thing with Integration is modified oid_to_type for different Cisco chassises. Even though I have noticed that some times you still have to modify properties for some Cisco chassis OIDs.

Okay, BTW do you know how to get for example Cisco specific oid_to_type w/o doing any integration. Inside nmidb.jar I can't find any informatio related to oid_to_type. Maybe it's merged via integration somehow!?

BR, Marko Sepp?nen

OH yes the Icons in ET get updated by the integration!

but as I said it?s hard to find this step in the docs. I did a littel research in my notes and found this (was also hard to find ..)

after the integration tool has finished its work you have 2 options to update the icons in ET, first through a special URL, second with cli

1) open a DynamicViews map (e.g. Node view)and ADD the following at the end of the URL:

&updateStyle=1

press Enter

this should update the dvStyleV8.xml file which contains the icon information for ET (or DynamicViews)

2) or you call the following script

ovdvstylereset.exe

perhaps you have to run an ovtopofix -U afterwards and restart the processes, but that isn?t for sure; if I remember well you should find some info in the online help of NNM or the man-page

for the oid_to_type I will have a look if I could provide the info (I have no testinstallation and need to consult my notes again...)because they changed the dependecies of oid_to_type and oid_to_sym with NNM 7.x

HTH,

MArtin

Yes I meant that with just simple integration ET is not involved for icons etc., sorry for misinformation and thanks for your reply Mermel!

BTW I have to mention that I have become really sceptic about almost everything what CWLMS does or does not with recent LMS 2.5x-2.6x versions. So many PERs and bugs with CWLMS that I don't want even.. OK but if you know something about oid_to_type stuff let us hear!

Regards, Marko