cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CW LMS Functionality

troy.bennett
Level 1
Level 1

Can DFM detect and report if and when a network interface on a switch or router goes does and send en email alert?

If not, can it detect if a device goes down and send the associated notification.

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, DFM can detect both events through both SNMP and ICMP polling. Notifications can be sent as emails, syslog messages, or SNMP traps.

Ok thanks for the quick response. The devices are already configured and are being managed by DFM. I do get notifications for the device, just not in the form I was expecting. For example after rebooting a test device I got the following notification.

EVENT ID = 00008WY

ALERT ID = 00000SN

TIME = Fri 20-Mar-2009 14:25:17 GMT-05:00

STATUS = Cleared

SEVERITY = Informational

MANAGED OBJECT = x.x.x.x

MANAGED OBJECT TYPE = Switches and Hubs

EVENT DESCRIPTION = InformAlarm::Component=x.x.x.x: Cisco Configuration Management Trap;

CUSTOMER IDENTIFICATION = xxxx

CUSTOMER REVISION = 1

I was more expecting to see that the device went offline. Is there a way to get a more informative notification?

If during DFM's polling, it sees that the device is not reachable, it will fire an Unresponsive event. By default, DFM polls devices every four minutes. If this is not granular enough, you can reduce the polling interval.