cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Data Collection Issue

brwong6372
Level 1
Level 1

Running LMS 2.6 on a Sun Solaris box and am having problems with data collection. For some reason, data collection is doing something that is bringing up our backup isdn links every couple minutes. The problem is resolved only by removing the backup site router from Device Discover and Data Collection. I've tried adding the backup router back into Device Discover and Data collection, while setting data collection filters to not manage the IPs of the backup links, but I still see a 5 minute ISDN call from our core router to the backup router. I've attached the data collection debug file. The backup IPs in question are 172.16.30.x and the backup router is 172.16.9.1. Any help would be much appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ah, yes, that would make sense. By default, DFM will poll all IP addresses on all managed devices with ICMP to verify reachablility. By calling the TAC, and referencing bug CSCsb48643, you can get a script which will allow you to disable ICMP polling on certain interfaces.

Alternatively, you can unamange the interfaces entirely by going to DFM > Device Management > Device Details.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The device, 172.16.9.1, is in DCR, and thus Data Collection tries to operate on it. If the only path to this device is over the backup ISDN link, then that link will be activated. If you do not want this device Data Collected, you will need to exclude it from your Data Collection filters. The same goes for Discovery. Add this device to your Discovery filters.

172.16.9.1 is also a field office router and is connected to our Frame network, as well as ISDN backup. Is there a way to have 172.16.9.1 not talk to the backup network 172.16.30.x? I've already added filters for 172.16.30.x for both device discovery and data collection.

It all depends on the routing table at that point. The server will send SNMP queries to 172.16.9.1, and it's up to the network how they get to their destination. The path taken is not apparent in this log, but what is apparent is that 172.16.30.197, 150, 158, 162, 166, 170, 174, 178, 186, and 190 are all CDP neighbors of this router, so something is advertising that CDP.

That said, there doesn't appear to be any direction communication to 172.16.30.x, so it's not really clear what's bringing up these connections. You might want to enable logging for your dialer lists, and see what traffic causing the links to come up.

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

I was able to get the calls to stop by stopping the dfmServer process.

Ah, yes, that would make sense. By default, DFM will poll all IP addresses on all managed devices with ICMP to verify reachablility. By calling the TAC, and referencing bug CSCsb48643, you can get a script which will allow you to disable ICMP polling on certain interfaces.

Alternatively, you can unamange the interfaces entirely by going to DFM > Device Management > Device Details.

Unmanaging the interface has seemed to resolve the problem. Thank you!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: