cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Defining Rate-Limit

md_ani
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2 MBps link and I want to to reserve 1.5 MBps for SMTP only. Pls suggest the best way to do this. Currently I have done thru 'rate-limit' as per below config. pls check the same and suggest the best configs.

rate-limit input access-group 102 2000000 375000 750000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

access-list 102 permit tcp any any eq smtp

Anis

4 Replies 4

smalkeric
Level 6
Level 6

To configure an access list for use with committed access rate (CAR) policies, use the access-list rate-limit global configuration command

access-list rate-limit acl-index {precedence | mac-address | exp | mask mask}

The following command help you to get more info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/switch/command/reference/xrfscmd1.html#wp1057318

Thanks Dear,

But from the link provided I am not able to understand how to provide precedence to some IPs for SMTP only. In my case I have 2 MB Internet Link & I want to restrict 1.5 MB for SMTP only for some IPs.

Anis

let say the IPs are 192.168.1.2 192.168.1.3

do like ;

access-list 100 permit tcp host 192.168.1.2 any eq 25

access-list 100 permit tcp host 192.168.1.3 any eq 25

class-map smtp

match access-group 100

policy-map smtp-policy

class smtp

police 150000 exceed-action drop

interface [outside interface to WAN]

service-policy output smtp-policy

if helpful rate

Thanks Dear,

Actually I have already applied the ACL as suggested but towards Inside and the problem I am facing in it is users are not able to receive attachments (in mail) more than 1 to 1.5 MB although Mail is coming. Hope this is becoz we have given 'drop' as action but I have tried other options also but the result is same.

Anis

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: