cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Device rediscovered through another interface

A.Shchukin
Level 1
Level 1

I have device already defined in CiscoWorks through Loopback interface. The problem is the same device keep coming up in the device discovery through PortChannel interface, which is a different IP address, so it looks like a new device. Is there a way to make discovery aware that this device is already in DCR?

21 Replies 21

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What versions of Campus Manager and Common Services do you have?

CM 4.0.10

CS 3.0.6

LMS 2.6

Have you confirmed that it is Campus Manager Device Discovery which is adding the duplicate device? That is, if you remove the duplicate device, and disable Discovery, does the device not come back? If so, please post the running config from this device.

I only see the dupe in DCR.

Here is the report on device discovery:

C6509-IOS .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.283 172.16.206.1 172.16.206.1 (manualy added)

Discovery show also 172.16.200.17 which is the same device. Show tech attached.

But are you sure it's Discovery that initially finds this dup? Do you have DFM installed on this server? It has also been known to cause duplicate devices in DCR.

DFM is intalled on the same server. How do I check if DFM causes the dup in DCR?

Run the command:

pdterm DfmServer

This will shutdown DFM's polling. Delete the duplicate device from DCR. Run a new Discovery in Campus. See if the duplicate device comes back.

To restart DFM polling, run:

pdexec DfmServer

How can I delete a device from DCR?

The device is not in the managed state.

If the device is listed under Common Services > Device and Credentials > Device Management, you can check it, then click the Delete button. Are you saying the device is not showing up in DCR?

I can only see it in the discovery. But I am not able to find that discovered device in CS.

And is the Port-channel IP showing up as unreachable in the Discovery report?

Correct

Then that is nothing to worry about. Since Campus cannot contact that address, it does not know that it is a duplicate of another device. In any event, Discovery only sends reachable devices to DCR, so the switch will not be duplicated or managed by the Port-Channel address.

I use discovery to find find if there are any new devices on the network.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: