Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

DFM Bandwidth Utilization Calculation

If I have a 100Mb full duplex link and it is transmitting at full capacity but receiving a negligible amount of traffic will DFM show this as being 50% utilised or 100%?

You can see my quandary, what do I set my threshold to? If I leave it at 40% I could get alarms when the link is transmitting at half capacity and receiving at half capacity i.e. 50% utilization. If I set it at 60% the link could be transmitting at full capacity and receiving negligible traffic, the utilization would be 50+% and not alarmed!

The first of these two situations is ok but I get an alarm, the second is not ok but significantly I do not get an alarm.

Can someone please advise on how DFM calculates utilization and what I should set my threshold to.

Thanks,

Paul

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: DFM Bandwidth Utilization Calculation

Here is the formula ,it is explained here in a general mathematical language ,this calculation shows how current utilization is calculated .

if NetworkAdapterOperational && UtilizationThreshold < 100 &&

MaxSpeed > 0 && DuplexMode != ICIM_NetworkAdapter::UNSPECIFIED

Check

TrafficRate >= 0 && CurrentUtilization > UtilizationThreshold;

CurrentUtilization = ((TrafficRate * 8) / MaxSpeed * 100;

TrafficRate =

= ifInOctetsRate + ifOutOctetsRate; if DuplexMode is HALFDUPLEX

= max(ifInOctetsRate, ifOutOctetsRate); if DuplexMode is FULLDUPLEX

ifInOctetsRate = rate(ifInOctets, PollingInterval);

ifOutOctetsRate = rate(ifOutOctets, PollingInterval);

UtilizationThreshold = 40

I take it that the line 'max(ifInOctetsRate, ifOutOctetsRate)' in english is use the maximum of ifInOctetsRate OR ifOutOctetsRate?

If so this is exactly how I would like it to work i.e. calculate the utilisation for either the transmit or recieve, whichever is the greater. This means if sending at 75% and receiving at 30% and the threshold is 60% I will get an alarm for the 75%.

Excellent stuff, where did you get the information from?

Cisco Employee

I believe that is the case, I would need to doublecheck.

I got this information from one of the developers I worked a DFM case with a while back.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content