Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DFM Devices in Questioned State

Level 1
Level 1

All of my devices (Routers, Switches and Load Balancers) are populated into DFM via the DCR. However, almost half of them are in a questioned state.

I am unclear as to why they are in a questioned state. When I run a device credential verification report under RME everything is successful.

Any ideas as to why they are in a questioned state?

All feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
6 Replies 6

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Questioned state should come with a little bit of extra information. Check for this under DFM > Device Management > Rediscover/Delete. Typically, a device will be questioned if there is a problem either pinging the device, or querying it via SNMP. Other causes of devices in the questioned state are responses that are sourced from a different IP address from the one queried, or delays in responses.

You should see some errors in the NMSROOT/objects/smarts/local/logs/DFM.log that may give you more of a clue.

Thank you for your response as it is greatly appreciated.

I have allowed SNMP to all of these devices but icmp ping request (echo request and echo reply) are being blocked.

In order for DFM to work correctly, do I have to allow icmp ping request/replies to these devices from Cisco Works?

Cheers,

Absolutely. DFM uses ping (icmp) to verify reachability. Ideally, you will want to enable ICMP to all IP addresses on all devices, but there is a way to get around this by calling the TAC and referencing bug CSCsb48643.

But to be absolutely clear, ICMP must be permitted to the management IP address of the device.

Thank you again for the feedback as it is most appreciated.

Could you possibly send me a link to the documentation referencing this?

I require this documentation as proof in order to permit icmp ping requests through firewalls from the Cisco Works Server.

Thanks again,

Cheers.

See http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/rtrmgmt/cw2000/dfm/dfm206/ug/snmpinfo.htm#wp1022595 . Pay close attention to the section titled "Coordinating ICMP and SNMP Polling".

Thank you for your help, it has been most appreciated.

Cheers,