Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

DFM does not see obvious

I have 2811 router and LMS 2.6. How come DFM does not see that one fan on router is not working?

thanks!

9 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: DFM does not see obvious

DFM can only see what the device is reporting via SNMP. Try walking the ciscoEnvMonFanState on this router (1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.13.1.4.1.3). DFM is expecting the state to be something other than normal(1).

I have value of 4 on 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.13.1.4.1.3.2

Cisco Employee

This is a shutdown state, and is the worst state possible. DFM should definitely be noticing this. Check your DFM polling parameters for the Router device group (or whatever group this device is in) and make sure environment polling is enabled.

Also, check the Device Details for this device (DFM > Device Management > Device Details) and make see what it says for the fan status. Make sure that the managed state for the fan object is true.

1. Polling of env is turned on

2. Menaged state of fan object is true, device view see that fan is shutdown

Cisco Employee

Well that's good. At least it means that DFM is seeing the correct information. Check Fault History (DFM > Fault History > Event Filtering > Search By Group) for this device, and see if the event is listed in there. It could be that the event was rolled into another alarm, and you may not have noticed it.

I should add that this event is a StateNotNormal event. That will help limit your search.

nope, there is no such event in history, there are other events for that device, utilization, backup activated etc, but no fan related event

Cisco Employee

You might try removing the device from DFM and re-adding it. If the event still doesn't occur (I found a CatOS fan event in an Inteface alarm of all things), I recommend you open a TAC Service Request so additional analysis can be done.

:-)) took me long time ... but ... I've tried this and it does not work. And also ... if you have router in DFM and remove interface and do not use it any more ... DFM reports this interface as faulted ... and you have either mannualy put this interface into unmanaged state or remove device from DFM and put it back. It would be nice if DFM could do it itself using regular device discovery

Cisco Employee

I recommend you open a TAC service request for these issues. We can then get a sniffer capture as well as some other command output to see why DFM is behaving the way it is.

Views
Helpful
Replies