Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

DFM showing IP .. not Device Name.

I've tried deleting all devices from DFM and rediscovering.

DCR has all the correct info on my devices. How do I fix this?

9 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: DFM showing IP .. not Device Name.

DFM is the one application that does not use the Display Name attribute from DCR. Therefore, for DFM to use hostnames, you must make sure your IP addresses are properly resolvable in DNS or in a local hosts file. The best way to test this is with the resolver.pl utility shipped with LMS:

NMSROOT/bin/perl NMSROOT/bin/resolver.pl

The idea is that the IP address in DCR should resolve to the hostname you desire.

Thanks.

I use a local host file but I can not get a name resolution with the resolver utility. Any ideas?

Cisco Employee

Show me an example entry from your hosts file, and what you are doing with resolver.pl. Also, what OS is this? If Solaris, is files listed in /etc/nsswitch.conf for host resolution?

Windows 2K3 OS

C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

127.0.0.1 localhost

xxx.xxx.xxx.70 ACC-RT7206A-MDF

xxx.xxx.xxx.103 ACC-AP1130-1A

xxx.xxx.xxx.104 ACC-AP1130-1B

xxx.xxx.xxx.102 ACC-AP1130-1C

xxx.xxx.xxx.105 ACC-AP1130-1D

resolver.pl output;

D:\Program Files\CSCOpx\bin>perl resolver.pl xxx.xxx.xxx.66

Original name: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Hostnames/IP Addresses:

xxx.xxx.xxx.66/xxx.xxx.xxx.66

Cisco Employee

Well, there is no x.x.x.66 in this example hosts file. Therefore, adding the entry should work provided the OS is configured to reference this file. Unlike nslookup, resolver.pl uses the OS resolver so all of the Windows hostname lookup methods will be used (not just DNS).

My bad, I omitted xxx.xxx.xxx.66 in my example but it's there.

Cisco Employee

There could be one other problem, then. Since resolver.pl uses Java to do the resolution, you could be seeing a "bug" with Java and hostname resolution. Basically, Java will check the result it gets back from the OS resolver to make sure it reverse-resolves to the same value. If the two resolutions do not match, it simply returns the IP address.

Check to make sure you don't have two x.x.x.66 entries in this file and that you do not have two entries with the same hostname.

I am positive that all my entries (ip/host) are unique.

Cisco Employee

Then resolver.pl should work. I know of no reason (other than perhaps some OS issue) that it would not return correct data. But unless resolver.pl shows the hostname, then DFM will not show the hostname.

Views
Helpful
Replies