Views
Helpful
Replies

DFM stopped device polling after upgrade

klepikov_a
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

I have LMS 3.1 . I upgraded DFM to 3.1.2 and it stopped device polling. When I try to view polling parameters for group Routers, I get message "The selected group has no devices. Please select a group with devices."

When I try to edit polling parameters or set them to factory defaults, I get message "An error occurred while applying factory polling settings and factory polling values to PTM Server. Please check the PTMClient.log file for more details."

Here is what I see in PTMClient.log:

27 Feb 2009|15:41:01.536|ERROR|PTMClient_Log|Thread-24|PtmUIHandler|createPollingReportXml|.|

Exception while creating the polling report xml

27 Feb 2009|15:44:39.255|ERROR|PTMClient_Log|Thread-24|PtmUIHandler|resetSettingsForGroup|.| Exception occured while invoking setFactoryGroupSettings CTM API[ERROR:[ERROR:com.cisco.nm.vhm.vpta.PTAException: com.cisco.nm.vhm.vpta.PTAException: PTARequestHandler :: in PTSettingDetails() ::com.cisco.nm.inchargelib.InchargeWrapperException: ICF-E-EWRONGCLASS-Requested class (Disable_Analysis_Setting) is not a

sub-class of ICF_Setting

]]

27 Feb 2009|15:44:39.255|ERROR|PTMClient_Log|Thread-24|PTMPollingAction|perform|.|

Exception occurred while applying the default settings to the backend with handler.null

27 Feb 2009|15:44:39.255|ERROR|PTMClient_Log|Thread-24|PTMPollingAction|perform|.|[ERROR:[ERROR:[ERROR:com.cisco.nm.vhm.vpta.PTAException: com.cisco.nm.vhm.vpta.PTAException: PTARequestHandler :: in PTSettingDetails() ::com.cisco.nm.inchargelib.InchargeWrapperException: ICF-E-EWRONGCLASS-Requested class (Disable_Analysis_Setting) is not a

sub-class of ICF_Setting

]]]

at com.cisco.nm.trx.ptm.client.PtmUIHandler.resetSettingsForGroup(PtmUIHandler.java:970)

at com.cisco.nm.trx.ptm.ui.PTMPollingAction.perform(PTMPollingAction.java:1700)

at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.processActionPerform(ActionServlet.java:1786)

at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:1585)

at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doPost(ActionServlet.java:509)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:709)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)

at com.cisco.nm.cmf.util.AccessLogFilter.doFilter(AccessLogFilter.java:100)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:202)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:178)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:126)

at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:105)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:107)

at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:148)

at org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.invoke(JkCoyoteHandler.java:199)

at org.apache.jk.common.HandlerRequest.invoke(HandlerRequest.java:282)

at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.invoke(ChannelSocket.java:754)

at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.processConnection(ChannelSocket.java:684)

at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket$SocketConnection.runIt(ChannelSocket.java:876)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:684)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

I also enabled debug of PTM, logs are attached.

I tried to reboot and even reinstall DFM, but it was useless. Help me, please!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Okay, I think I've managed to reproduce this. DFM 3.1.2 is HARMFUL.

I found a workaround. Go to DFM > Configuration > Polling and Thresholds > Managing Thresholds. Expand the DFM > System Defined Groups tree. Go through each Interface, Access Port, and Trunk Port group. If any of them have the box checked for " Disable All Threshold Settings for This Group" uncheck the box, and Save the setting.

Once all of the thresholds are enabled, restart PTMServer from the command line:

pdterm PTMServer

pdexec PTMServer

Now you should be able to make changes to your polling parameters.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I cannot reproduce. I upgraded my Solaris server from DFM 3.1.1 to 3.1.2, and I can still view and edit polling and threshold settings.

On what platform did you do the upgrade? What version of DFM were you running previously?

Windows 2003 Server R2 with SP2. Previous version was that comes with LMS 3.1 . DFM 3.1, I guess.

Is there a way to restore previuos version without full reinstall of LMS?

Okay, I think I've managed to reproduce this. DFM 3.1.2 is HARMFUL.

I found a workaround. Go to DFM > Configuration > Polling and Thresholds > Managing Thresholds. Expand the DFM > System Defined Groups tree. Go through each Interface, Access Port, and Trunk Port group. If any of them have the box checked for " Disable All Threshold Settings for This Group" uncheck the box, and Save the setting.

Once all of the thresholds are enabled, restart PTMServer from the command line:

pdterm PTMServer

pdexec PTMServer

Now you should be able to make changes to your polling parameters.

FYI, I filed CSCsy09263 to track this issue.

Thank you very much! Everything works as expected!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: