cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DFM will not display DNS name -- why?

neonetsup
Level 1
Level 1

DFM 2.0 won't display DNS name in alerts and activities display. I have DNS configured properly and from the CW server I can ping the device by DNS name. No matter how many times I edit the DCR with every possible combination of "Device Name, Host Name, Domain Name, and IP address", DFM only displays the device by its IP.

Anyone know what I'm missing?

8 Replies 8

getwithrob
Level 3
Level 3

Does that IP address have a name associated with it?

Can you do an nslookup on the IP address DFM is showing and get a name back? A device can have mutliple IP addresses associated with...

How are you populating DFM? Importing from a seed file or discovery. I had a similar problem when syncronizing RME with the data Campus Manager discovered.

Yes, the IP has a name registered in DNS. I can nslookup from the CW server by IP and get the proper name back.

I have 3 seed devices configured, and DFM is populated by "syncro with the DCR." But since troubleshooting this problem, I have been deleting the device from Common Services and manually add back in. I specify device name, host name, IP and sometimes domain name or a combination of those. For example: If I specify just the device name say "router1" and then only enter the hostname as "router1.xzy.com", enter my credential info and click "finish", DFM will display this device as "10.10.10.1" which is indeed its IP -- but the whole purpose of this is for DFM to display the device by name in alerts and activities so at first glance, you know what device is in trouble.

I haven't used LMS 2.5 so I can't comment. We're not using DFM where I'm at now. This install has over 4000 devices on each of 3 servers running RME only. I don't think the servers and application could handle it...We rely on syslog messages and it works well.

The last install had about 800 devices on one solaris box running RME, DFM and Campus Mgr and it ran fine. It would've probably started having problems if the number was double that.

I do remember there were two ways to populate DFM. Discovery or by a seed file. I did it with a seed file.

I have the same problem, but not with all devices. About 12 devices in DFM 2.0 only ever show ip address, and when I check in DFM its DNS name is also the ip address.

DNS is setup correctly but it just will not display DNS no matter how many times I add / remove the devices from DCR or how I import / synchronise.

This is very strange. Mind you, I am finding quite a few anomolies with LMS 2.5 that are starting to become major irritations. Hopefully Cisco will sort them out.

Exactly. It doesn't happen on all my devices either, I think it's about 30 or so combination of routers and switches. I've been looking at differences between IOS versions on my devices -- whether this problem could be related to dynamic hostname mapping or not but no luck yet.

Maybe I'll open a TAC case so this problem can be logged and possibly addressed in future release. (Or maybe they know what I'm doing wrong!)

Hi,

Has anyone found a work around / fix for this problem yet ?

Hi,

I have managed to sort this out on my system.

I unchecked the "Synchronize with Device Credential Repository" in device selector. Deleted all the devices that hadn't been learned with a DNS name and then went back to device selector to add them manually.

When I went back to device selector each device was displayed with its correct name.

If in this selection your devices are still displaying ip addresses, it may be worth going back to Device Credentials and change the display name to match the DNS name. This could solve the issue.

Hi

I just tried this but the problem is still there. I have checked in Common Services Device Credentials and the details are correct. It is just 6 devices out of 300 that are doing this. I have verified the configuration on the devices and the .CSV file that was used to import them and everything checks out. I can only assume there is some data stored that is not removed when the devices are deleted and gets carried over when they are re-added.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks

Andy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: