Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

DHCP - secondary L3 interface

Hi,

I am in the process of migrating clients from 192.168. IPs over to 172.

The way I have figured I would do this is to migrate the current L3 address on the VLAN (using SVI's) to the new 172 address and then use the existing 192.168. as a secondary L3, in order to not cause disruption and allow clients already with a 192.168 address pointing to the 192.168 gateway to maintain connectivity.

However, one problem would be printers etc with reserved IP's in the 192.168 range - if these were to be rebooted and ask DHCP for an address again they will receive a 172. address, as the MLS will forward to DHCP using the primary L3 address on the SVI.  I have tested this theory and a client regardless of having a reservation in the 192.168 scope receives a new address in the 172 scope.

Is there a way of informing DHCP to issue out reserved IPs from one scope relating to the secondary L3 on the SVI for some devices?

My alternative would be to create a new VLAN (legacy-vlan) for each scope I am migrating and keep this in the 192.168 range and assign switch ports to this legacy vlan for printers, though this increases management burden!

Any ideas would be great,

Thanks

Steve

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content