cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Different Network Speeds off same switch

dfarrell
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all, kinda new to this whole network management thing, but I've been trying to determine why there is a huge discrepenacy in network speed for users on the same switch. I can get about 30mbps while my boss can only get 6 mbps. We are both located on the same switch, and we have different users on the same switch with a similar issue.

I've determined it's not a cable issue by plugging a test machine directly into the switch, and it got the same speed from any port I tried. Tried switching our ports and he's still slow. The ports have exactly the same configuration. The switch doesn't have the most current version of IOS, but I don't think it could be that. Running out of ideas and it'd be great if I could fix this. Any ideas would be great.

4 Replies 4

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Dennis,

Have you checked duplex?

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What kind of switch?  Give us the exact model or please provide the output to the following commands:

1.  sh version;

2.  sh interface status

oshincisco
Level 1
Level 1

The question of how much you are able to consume in terms of bandwidth is limited to what your laptop can take.

Dont think its a problem with duplex settings as you already tried a different workstation on the switchport.

Now what are you monitoring? If its the traffic passing through the port, then try downloading more, reduce the time interval to 30seconds for the port and input command "show int f0/0" as an example. See how Much traffic is going through for a period of time and compare values with your NMS. It should be same

Dont think you have any issues.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

oshincisco
Level 1
Level 1

Int f0/0

load-interval 30

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco