cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Differentiating between RO and RW snmp communities in Prime

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Will Prime, ever support, different read/write SNMP community-values  for devices in the future ?

(Uptill now only one community can be entered for a device, making it difficult if you manage devices using different SNMP RW community names)

Of course, it would then be expected that Prime will use the RW community for config updating, amongst other tasks (too).

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !
4 Replies 4

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Apology for my misunderstanding, but the problem isn't clear to me enough. Do you mean :

1. Using multiple community strings for a same device?

2. Using different strings in Prime for Read Only and another for Read Write?

For (1) there is certainly no plans as of now. As most of the customer prefer to have one RO and RW strings with all security measures (with ACL's and accounting for particular String etc) use it. But with your business requirement justification, you may raise a Product Enhancement Request (PER).

For (2) it is still an option. We still have a choice of entering a individual RO and RW string for a specific device. 

Please check and let us know for more details.

-Thanks

Vinod

**Encourage Contributors. RATE Them.**

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

- I meant 2)  ; What do you mean by 'still having an option' ? Basically asking, how is it

done then ?

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

I may apologize for incorrect information, which i may have not realized till now.

Yes PI only takes one SNMP community string while adding a device and currently there is nothing on the roadmap to include such basic feature.

Only one place where SNMP RO and RW both are taken is at discovery.

I will check internally to see what is the plans regarding that and will share any substantial information I may get.

You can file a PER to have this basic feature included, by working with your Accounts Team/or/Cisco Accounts Manager etc.

-Thanks

Vinod

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

Ok, thanks for your reply

M.