cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Direct SQL Queries in LMS 2.6

dcwalker
Level 1
Level 1

I want to run scheduled jobs to extract all sorts of data to be imported regularly into a CMDB (Config Management Database).

I want to extract device details including s/w version, serial #, location, ip, modules installed in the devices, how the devices are connected and what nodes plug in where.

I know there are some exports but I don't think they cover all the details. UserTracking stuff is pretty straightforward, but I am not sure if modules is easily accessible and the topology in in Campus Manager. I can't recall any exports of topology.

The preferred platform would be Perl as I know LMS already uses Perl heavily.

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Direct access to the database is not supported, and would be a nightmare anyway for ANI. We do, however, offer a topology export in XML format. See the documentation for cmexport. Basically, you would do something like:

cmexport l2topology -u admin -p admin

I had this contact with ANI and it is in fact a nightmare...

there is nearly no relationship documented between the tables and and it takes from hours to days to find what you need and to stich it together...

Hi Jclarke,

I have come across this thread while searching for the solution to integrate Ciscoworks with CMDB in particular to HP uCMDB. My customer is runing LMS3.1 and wondering if Cisco Works can be integrated or exported to uCMDB either as a CSV file or direct integration with uCMDB. I have searched forums extenssively to find if I can get some pointers towards this. Can you please advise if this can be done in some way.

Thanks and regards

Shine Joseph

CCIE # 20466

Subsequent to this e-mail we put in Remedy CMDB and I know there was a tool on the Remedy site for exporting from CiscoWorks into Remedy CMDB.

Maybe HP has done something similar.

The data exported from CiscoWorks via CSV is fairly limited.

I have been using an Open Source tool can NeDi (http://nedi.ch) to do our discovery. It discovers devices and nodes and the data can be extract easily using MySQL queries.