Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual Processor for LMS 2.5 on Solaris platform

dany.datacraft
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Has any one tried installing/upgrading LMS 2.5 on Solaris platform with Dual processor?

My customer's server is as follows:

SunOS asteroid 5.8 Generic_108528-29 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-250

Currently the CPU utilization of the server is near 100%, so she's planning to add a CPU onto the server. I can't find any docu in Cisco website that recommends the use of dual processor on Solaris.

8 Replies 8

nhabib
Level 9
Level 9

What kind of processor does this box contain?

prtconf | grep -i sparc

LMS 2.5 requires UltraSPARCIIIi

U r right, customer is using UltraSPARCII :

SUNW, UltraSPARC-II

If customer upgraded to dual processor, UltraSPARC-II, will it help?

Yes, the minimum requirement is UltraSPARC-III as described in the Quick Start Guide (Server Requirements):

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/rtrmgmt/cw2000/cw2000_b/lms/lms25/lms25qsg.htm

Yupe, I am aware of the min requirement. I've advised them to upgrade the processor, but customer was asking whether adding another UltraSPARC-II processor helps to improve the performance.

It will help a little, but performance will still suffer.

Thanks for the input!

I guess the best is still to upgrade the current procesor.

cheers.

CW (as of somewhere in the 2.x release train, IIRC) will thread processes across multiprocessor Sun Solaris boxes. We upgraded to dual proc Sunfire 280R's in my old job and it made a nice positive difference with respect to performance. Those boxes were running both CW LMS 2.2 and HP Openview NNM 6.2.

We didn't do an in place upgrade but migrated from older boxes. You may need to re-install or tweak something to make the software span the processors, I'm not sure.

(Make sure you have at least 4 GB of RAM too.)

Thanks Marvin!

I assume you use UltraSPARC-IIIi?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: