Views
Helpful
Replies

Duplicate device errors in Common Services

wil6707
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm running Common Services 3.0.5. Sometimes when I try to add a new device to the DCR, I get the error "Duplicate device name not allowed", but then I can go right back and do a search for that very device and I can't find it in there anywhere. Where is the DCR finding a duplicate device? And is there some way I can get in on the command line and delete whatever the DCR thinks its seeing as a duplicate? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

8 Replies 8

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You're most likely seeing this problem because LMS is integrated with ACS. What's happening here is that while the device is in DCR, it is not a client of the same ACS server to which LMS is integrated. Therefore, you will not see the device in the device list. You can confirm this by looking at the Devices not in ACS report under Common Services > Device and Credentials > Reports.

To resolve this, you would need to add the device as a client of the same ACS server to which LMS ins integrated.

I'm actually not running in ACS mode. I'm running local. However at one time I did have it integrated. I wonder if its still trying to look in ACS for certain devices? I had a lot of issues with the DCR on one of my servers when I rolled back from ACS mode before.

If you are truly in local mode, you should be able to find the duplicate device in DCR as there would be nothing filtering allowed devices. Double-check to make sure you are tuly in local mode, then check to make sure the System Identity User is properly defined in LMS as a user that has full access.

I double checked the SI account and its good, and I am definitely in local mode. Not sure what the deal is. This has been going on a long time. I usually just add a dot at the end of the name and move on, but it would be nice to know what's wrong with my DCR.

Try exporting the device list to a CSV file, and check that file for a matching device (either by display name, hostname, or IP address).

If it's not found there, you can enable DCR debugging, but it is not a straight-forward process in LMS 2.x. In that case, you should open a TAC service request, and have them walk you through the steps.

I exported the database but that list is consistent with what shows up in the device selector. Is there some way I can wipe out the DCR all together and then import my device list back in? If I just delete from the selector that won't work because the "ghost devices" I'm going to call them now :), won't show up to be selected for deletion.

If you want to reinitialize DCR, and start from scratch, you will lose all devices in all applications. See this thread for the details on how to reinitialize your LMS databases:

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=Network%20Management&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1ddc836f/4#selected_message

Ahh you do have corruption in your DCR that you need to clean out. Better do it now before you upgrade to 3.0 because it will cause you nothing but headaches. DCRCLI in 2.6 wont help that much, its much improved in 3.0. You can use the dbreader to look at the schema and entries of your DCR and manipulate them via sql, but its not easy nor suggested.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco