Views
Helpful
Replies

dynamips / dyanagen Legal?

galamayur
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Is using this dynamips / dyanagen & pixemu legal?

As we need to use the Cisco real IOS >

Any idea?

Awaiting reply

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mayur

Perhaps there is something in your question that I do not understand. If you need to use Cisco real IOS then it is clear that dynamips / dyanagen is not real IOS. In that case it seems that you need to use real IOS and not dynamips / dyanagen and therefore there is not much issue about legality.

As far as I know dynamips / dyanagen are legal for what they are. But they are not real IOS.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick

Thanks for you response

My questions is

Dynagen / Dynamibs /pixemu are the opensource application which runs cisco IOS software for training purpose

So can we use IOS images , in this software, is this legal?

I have a huge network setup where I have all the required IOS. So in my environment can I make a Virtual Cisco Lab using these products & load the actual Cisco IOS for training purpose.

we will not be adding any new cisco Hardware only thing which will be used is the existing IOS images.

Awaiting reply

Regards

Mayur

Hi Mayur,

Dynamips and Dynagen (a front-end for Dynamips) are a form of vmware for Cisco IOS. This software runs actual IOS images for several cisco platforms including the 7200 and 3600 series, until now Cisco itself hasn't accused it to be illegal, and i don't think that there should be a reason to do this.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.