Views
Helpful
Replies

Email problem from CiscoWorks machine

tech_trac
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have configured the SMTP server in Cisco Common Services under Server -> Admin.

For e.g.

the SMTP Server is: mail.abc.com

Administrator Email Id: test@abc.com

However, when I run a RME sync archive job with my email id (test@abc.com) it fails. I ran a wireshark and noticed that the Cisco Works machine generates a HELO command to the host name of its own machine (lets says machine name 'CiscoWorks') to which

I get an 'RST'(Reset) packet. Access to the outside mail server is open on port 25.

Is this right ? Shouldn't it send a HELO abc.com instead.

Thanks.

26 Replies 26

For the From to appear in the Inbox, the FROM: should come after the DATA command during SMTP communication. But in case of CiscoWorks I only see it before DATA command.

Does CiscoWorks support it to be after DATA command.

Yes, it does, and you've seen in the logs you posted before. As long as the administrator email ID is populated in Common Services > Server > Admin > System Preferences, the From: header should be populated in the email.

Hello,

I was refering to the Wireshark trace.

As an example, I have put the From field in quotes below. I don't see the From after DATA command in Wireshark

HELO some-hostname

servers response

MAIL FROM: some address

250 ok something

RCPT TO: recipient address

250 ok something

DATA

"From: recipient address"

more headers

email body

It should be there. The code writes it as you can see in the log snippet in your first follow-up post. Exactly what email is being sent that is not showing the full headers?

I am only trying to compare the wireshark trace for one-to-one mapping.

I generated email for CiscoWorks via RME-Sync Archive and the wireshark trace from CiscoWorks is

1. HELO

2. MAIL FROM:

3. RCPT TO:

4. DATA

5. .

6. QUIT

So there is no trace for 'from:' IMF protocol after the DATA command.

I then tried a trace from my outlook client while generating an email and I could see that the 'from:' IMF record is sent after the DATA Command.

Apparently, CiscoWorks machine is not generating it. Do I need to restart any service etc for this.

Lastly, in this example I have used the same email Id for MAIL FROM: (i.e. Administrator ID in Common Services) and RCPT TO:. Hope that should not matter.

Please assist.

Thanks.

What version of LMS do you have?

It is LMS 3.2

I was able to reproduce this, and I filed CSCtc60402 to track the problem. I have produced a patch you can try if you open a TAC service request.

Thanks. I will check and post an udpate.

When is this patch expected to be released as part of LMS update, in case I cannot raise a TAC due to the support contract.

Not until the next release of LMS, summer of next year.

Setting up an SMTP gateway to send the password out to our internet Mail Server, worked well with CiscoWorks notifications.

But then I got stuck with NAM (Network Analysis Module) email notifications. It does not have the option of configuring SMTP password nor does it allow to change the sender/administrator email id (as in CiscoWorks).

The SMTP gateway allows only one user account to be used for authentication (if sender and receiver domain are the same which is my case). So for e.g. I have configured CiscoWorks@abc.com with its account password in the SMTP gateway for necessary authentication. But I cannot add the second account in the gateway i.e. for NAM@abc.com with its password required by our internet Mail Server.

Please advise whether NAM administrator email id can be changed or not. If not then why is there so much difference in every Cisco Product with regards to SMTP configuration/notifications.

Please suggest.

Thanks.

Start a new thread for the NAM issue.