Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

End User Tracking Not Showing Host Connected on 2950G Switch

We have some Cisco 2950G-24 EI switches which we have added on our Ciscoworks LMS 2.6 . To do the end host tracking when we try to configure the SNMP Context Commands , the Cisco switch IOS does not support .

SNMP Command : snmp-server group xxx v3 auth context

We are running c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-20.EA1a.bin IOS On the switch.

We have configured SNMP v3 in the switches.

What is the workaround for this , how can we get  End Host devices in the Ciscoworks

Regards

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There is no workaround for this.  You must use SNMPv1 or v2c on these switches in order for User Tracking to work.  These switches cannot run 12.2 code, and thus will never support SNMPv3 contexts.

Thanks for the reply

I enabled the SNMP v1 commands on the switches and on the LMS Server , and did a Major Acquisition , however I am  only able to get the MAC address of the m/c , I dont get any IP or Hostname Details

Can you guide me how I should troubleshoot further.

Our Campus Manager ver is 4.0.13

You need to make sure there is a router on all of these end hosts' subnets which has been properly data collected by Campus Manager.  Those routers need to show up with green router icons on the topology map.  Once that is happening, UT will query those routers for their ARP caches at acquisition time.  If the ARP cache has an entry for the end host MAC, then UT will show it.

All the 2950 switches connect to a Cisco 4500 L3 switch , where all the VLAN;s are created , apparently I have still not added the Cisco 4500 in the Ciscoworks. Could it be due to this that I am not getting  user data from the Cisco 2950 switches.

Regards

End users should show up in UT (i.e. MAC addresses) as long as the 2950 is properly data collected, and the community strings are configured in DCR.  Note: prior to LMS 3.2, you cannot have SNMPv3 credentials configured for these switches in DCR, or UT will not work.

In order to get IP addresses, you must have a router data collected which has the ARP entries corresponding to the end host MAC addresses.  A 4500 will work provided it is configured to do IP routing.