Views
Helpful
Replies

Error in Cisco Network Assistant

Matthew Martin
Level 5
Level 5

Hello All,

I apologize in advance if this in the wrong location for this post.... But I had a question about the Cisco Network Assistant.

Cisco Network Assistant Version: 5.6(3)

Connected Switch: Cisco Catalyst 4510R+E (WS-C4510R+E, ROM: 15.0(1r)SG5)

When I navigate to our Catalyst 4510R+E switch in a web browser, I'm given the option to download the network assistant, which I did. Then I connect to our 4510R+E using Level_15_Access, which is supposed to be read/write access.

But when I go to: Configure > Switching > Mac Addresses, I get an error about using this window and not having read/write access, which I do have because I signed in using the same enable password that I would use on the CLI...

The Error I see:

"The software version of the selected switch does not support some of the cli commands in read-only mode for this window. You must have read-write access to this switch to display complete information in this window."

I also attached a screenshot of the Error dialog that pops up...

Does anyone know why this isn't working, even though I logged in with the read/write access password, i.e. the same password used for the enable command on the CLI?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Cisco_Network_Assistant---Mac_Address_Error.JPG

Thanks in Advance,

Matt

2 Replies 2

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This community is for help and no one need to feel sorry on posting any kind of valid question.

What version of IOS are u running on device?

Some newer IOS doesn't support the command: show mac-address-table etc... Instead, the command has been replaced with: show mac address-table.... , i.e. no 'dash' between 'mac' and 'address-table'.

You can check both commands on the device and confirm which one works.

Seems CNA has some old commands which it uses and causes this issue.

-Thanks
Vinod
**Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

Hey Arya, thanks for the reply!

Ok, that makes sense then... We had moved from a 4057R to 4510R+E and one of the main things I noticed different from the commands on the cli was the show mac-address-table was changed to show mac address-table. Not to mention a lot of the other commands which have changed as well.

The IOS is: Cisco IOS Software, IOS-XE Software, Catalyst 4500 L3 Switch Software (cat4500e-UNIVERSAL-M), Version 03.03.02.SG RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Is there anyway to get into any of the files for the Network Assistant and change which command it uses? Wasn't sure if that was configurable or if the Software was Open Source...?

Something else now... I did a check for updates from with the program and it did find an upgrade. So I ran the upgrade and restarted to program in hopes that would fix this issue. But now I'm getting a Java error when it begins starting up.

The Java Error I get now is: *I get this when I attempt to open the Network Assistant, so I can't even get into it at all now.

java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file

at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)

at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)

at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at com.cisco.cpnm.boot.internal.Merge.executeInstallAssistant(Merge.java:666)

at com.cisco.cpnm.boot.internal.Merge.executePreMerge(Merge.java:556)

at com.cisco.cpnm.boot.internal.Merge.perform(Merge.java:105)

at com.cisco.cpnm.boot.internal.BootstrapApplet.discoverComponents(BootstrapApplet.java:313)

at com.cisco.cpnm.boot.internal.BootstrapApplet.init(BootstrapApplet.java:143)

at com.cisco.cpnm.launcher.AppLauncher.initialize(AppLauncher.java:197)

at com.cisco.cpnm.launcher.AppLauncher.main(AppLauncher.java:118)

Do you know of any documentation that says which version of Java this Network Assistant requires? I can't get into the About window of the program because it won't open, so I don't have the exact version number at this point... But I would assume it upgraded to the most recent version of Network Assistant...

Thanks,

Matt

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: