Helpful
Replies

/etc/resolv.conf in LMS 3.1

g.meerkoetter
Level 1
Level 1

In LMS3.0 the CSCOmd preinstall script wants to grab a domainname from

/etc/resolv.conf. If this fails, it complains "WARNING: domain name is

not found, setting PX_FQDN same as PX_HOST".

According to the Solaris 10 resolv.conf(4) manpage, the domain and

search keywords are mutually exclusive. Therefore we normally use the

search keyword only.

Before I install LMS3.1 I'd like to know:

1. Does the CSCOmd preinstall script in LMS3.1 still rely on the

presence of a domain statement?

2. What is the consequence of having the unqualified hostname in

both PX_FQDN and PX_HOST?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I usually have both in my resolv.conf. I list domain first, and then search as the last one takes precedence. This way, things like the LMS installer work, plus I can search my sub-domains.

1. Yes, the preinstall script still checks for domain in /etc/resolv.conf.

2. Not having PX_FQDN be the FQDN will mean that things like emails will only have the hostname. This may prevent emails from going out depending on your SMTP and MUA configurations. The links in those emails will also only have the hostname. So if the hostname by itself is not resolvable, that will cause problems as users will not be able to directly access the links.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I usually have both in my resolv.conf. I list domain first, and then search as the last one takes precedence. This way, things like the LMS installer work, plus I can search my sub-domains.

1. Yes, the preinstall script still checks for domain in /etc/resolv.conf.

2. Not having PX_FQDN be the FQDN will mean that things like emails will only have the hostname. This may prevent emails from going out depending on your SMTP and MUA configurations. The links in those emails will also only have the hostname. So if the hostname by itself is not resolvable, that will cause problems as users will not be able to directly access the links.

Thanks Joe. I'll configure it the same way, then.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: