cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ethereal dump - trying to determine - Network or PC problem

lcoles
Level 1
Level 1

I have a strange problem. One of our PCs will not connect to our e-mail server. This PC is on vlan 30. This PC has worked fine up until about a week ago. It can get to internet and seems to be functioning in all areas except e-mail. I can bring this machine back the computer center where it is connected to vlan 10 and it works fine. I can take my laptop to the PC's location and I can get my e-mails. I even swapped the PC to another port on the 2924 and it still couldn't get e-mails. I captured packets while trying to connect to the e-mail server with ethereal. I don't think this is a network problem, but I'm not sure. The info in ethereal states it is doing the 3-way handshake. Then the mail-sever sends an fin,ack. That tells me it is a mail server problem, not a network problem. If it is a mail server problem then why can the PC get mail from another vlan? If it is a network problem, then why can I get mail from the same switch port that the PC cannot get mail? Any ideas? Thanks, Laurie

2 Replies 2

p.krane
Level 3
Level 3

If dhcp is configured for ip address assignment, just try a "clear arp", sometimes, this has resolved issues with routing...

wee_edmund
Level 1
Level 1

To better understand your prob, I have a question: -

- when the laptop is connected to the 2924, is it using the the same IP address as the PC?

The reason I ask that is that there is a possiblity of an ACL blocking the PC's IP address. The ACL could be on the router or on the mail server. A traceroute from vlan 30 may help to determine which hop (router) could be blocking.

Hopes this helps ;)